Why did my baby beardie bite??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My baby bearded dragon is about 2 months old and I’ve had him for almost 3 weeks. The other day I had to go to work and I asked my little brother to bathe my beardie since I think he’s startig to shed. My brother texted me later and said that my bearded dragon bit him! He puffs himself up to make himself bigger and runs from me for the past few days. He is usually really calm and happy to be lifted up. Why did he all of a sudden bite?

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
Bearded dragons bite when they feel threatened or dangered. My baby beardie only bit e twice but it's because of hand feeding, but I've been bit by a blue tail skink and its because she was scared of me.

Beardies don't like water in general but some do, mines certainly doesn't. Maybe he/she bit him because he/she really doesn't want to go in the water,

Xanelic

Hatchling Member
Has your brother picked him/her up before?
Did he pick the beardie up too roughly?
He/she's still a baby beardie so could be a bit scared here and there.

Hjballinger

Original Poster
Yes he has picked him up before, not often but he has. And I wasn’t home so I can’t say for sure if my brother picked him up roughly but he’s usually good at getting him out

Xanelic":2hlgdyqq said:
Then the beardie is just a bit moody. Dnt worry much about it unless he/she keeps doing it,

Yeah, I was gonna say moody too, especially if the beardie is going through a shedding phase. They tend to get "don't touch me" vibes during shedding.

Maybe instead of bathing the dragon, since hes still a baby, try and mist him up a bit (cover his eyes) and spray some water on him to keep the moisture for a while, then dry him down with a soft flannel :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I've lost count of the number of times I've been ACCIDENTLY bitten by a skink or a dragon , always been my fault while I was hand feeding and not paying 100% attention the task.

Very likely the bite was out of fear. Stranger pickup dragon and tries to force to have a bath. If I was the dragon I'd take a piece too.

If the dragon is a hatchling , as already suggested , leave a very shallow acrylic rock look water dish in the tank with water only a 3mm - 5mm dead (no depth than the side spike fringes on the dragon's body. when in shed many hatchlings will use the water to help alleviate the itchiness and help loosen the old skin.

Regarding bathing in general : not necessary for a bearded dragon
>> will only hydrate a dragon if they actually drink while in the bath
only bath when necessary (unless you have a dragon who loves to play in the bath , otherwise bathing is not worth the stress on the dragon or the risk of asperation of the water into the lungs or even drowning)
ie
<<< impacted
<<< very soiled
<<< to help remove a stubburn area of shed
<<< betadiene baths for sores and open injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom