Young Beardie doesn't like me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

camden

Hello!

I'm new to actually posting in the forums so sorry if this is the wrong one! But I have been having a lot of trouble bonding with my beardie. I got him in March and it's July 1st now, and he still doesn't like me too much. Once he's being held he'll try to escape a lot but usually there will be bouts where he just sits. In the past he would fall asleep on me sometimes in the evenings.

Recently however, he'll run from me, flatten out and hiss whenever I try to get him out of his enclosure. He would always puff up and hiss but now he's not even letting me touch him. I'll try to move slowly and from the side instead of above when I go to pick him up and I'm always talking to him. His enclosure is in our family living room so he sees and hears us. I visit with him almost everyday.

I'm not really sure what I'm doing wrong? I felt like I was making progress for a little bit but it feels like I'm back at square one. I try to follow all of the tips I see on here and be patient but I feel like I must be doing something wrong! Thank you so much!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Are you spending much time hanging out with him (him in his tank , you sitting there doing calm quiet things where he can see you and study you, with you regularly talking to him calmly and quietly) ?

Have you tried giving food bribes / treats ? …. this is an excellent way to gain the trust of a lizard and to bond with it.

Have you tried handfeeding some insect to him each day ?…. even better way to bond.

Environmental :
do you have a dark beard ?
are you very dark skinned ? …. don't laugh …. serious questions - he may be interpreting you beard as you giving him the BB , or maybe something similar if you are dark skinned.... it happens (they are very quirky little guys).
are there other people in the home ?
are there other animals in the home ?

It's really just a matter of time and patience , I can assure you he'll warm to you , it might take a few weeks ,even a few months, but he will come around and decide you are "his" and he "likes you".

Are you sure it's not more a case of teenage beardie angst , and his really just wanting to assert himself and establish a pecking order , and a bit of hormonal stuff going on , of his being more interested in dashing off to explore …. (my Toothless was very much a livewire and like that, took 9 months for him to decide he enjoyed snuggles, then he couldn't get enough …. but always on his terms).

camden

Original Poster
Thank you!!! I try to hold him and interact with him daily, but just sitting near him is a really good idea!

I've tried a bit giving food bribes and treats but he won't take them from my hand. I am not dark skinned or bearded so I know that can't be a problem, but there is a small dog and 2 other people in the household. My dog's probably scary to him.

It might just be angst as well. I don't know. I'm just going to keep trying! thank you for all the advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom