Grey square on head, and no uvb survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie1072

I have a bearded dragon named stitches, I've owned him for 4 months now and just recently he's had a grey dark square forming around his 3rd eye (top of head). Is this something I should worry about?
Also how long can my bearded dragon live with his ubv? So far it's been 2 weeks since it broke during the move and I've been taking him outside in the Arizona heat for 30 minutes a day to get his Ray's and heat.
He's a year and a half, his tank is a 4x1, no uvb, eats squash with repti-calcium, 30 minutes a day of sun.
The rest of the day he keeps warm in my blankets.

Rony

Im not sure what it is. About the lighting, bearded dragons need to bask 12 hours per day. Try to get your beardie outside more time till you get the uvb, or otherwise it might get mbd. If your beardie starts to act strange ask someone on your family that knows about reptiles/animals. If it doesn’t stop acting strange whatever you do, I would recommend taking it to the vet just to make sure :roll:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds like maybe a shed starting on top of his head. Can you post a photo of it? Time outside in natural sunlight is great for them. If you can bring him out a few times per day that should keep him in good shape for a while.

Archie1072

Original Poster
100115-6359263658.jpg
CooperDragon":3uwmtsyh said:
It sounds like maybe a shed starting on top of his head. Can you post a photo of it? Time outside in natural sunlight is great for them. If you can bring him out a few times per day that should keep him in good shape for a while.

Archie1072

Original Poster
100115-7525732126.jpg
Archie1072":2l2ms4s4 said:
100115-6359263658.jpg
CooperDragon":2l2ms4s4 said:

avahsanimals

Hi! I’m pretty sure that he’s just shedding. If you feel so inclined you can put him in the bath and scrub it a bit with a toothbrush to loosen it. As for the uvb, it’s good that you’re taking him outside everyday but you should still get one as soon as you can afford it. He will be fine but it’s just safer to get one :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Rony":33a5kwv1 said:
Im not sure what it is. About the lighting, bearded dragons need to bask 12 hours per day.
12 hours per day is way too short …. this will make the dragon think it's winter. 15 hours to 16 hours per day is more like summer in their natural range .

Try to get your beardie outside more time till you get the uvb, or otherwise it might get mbd. If your beardie starts to act strange ask someone on your family that knows about reptiles/animals. If it doesn’t stop acting strange whatever you do, I would recommend taking it to the vet just to make sure :roll:

A good UV source inside the tank is MANDATORY , must produce about 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot and no less than 100 microW UVB / sq.cm at the floor.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that's a spot of shed. And it's always good to order 2 bulbs if you can, when one is not useful anymore you won't need to scramble for one. However since you are actually able to take him in the sun daily that will give him the uvb he needs. An hour would be better, but not at the hottest part of the day. An hour in the sun will give him all he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom