Last attempt at finding solution to weird behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preezy

So I've posted on here just about every other month trying to find a solution to Drake's crazy behavior. Hes a 2 year old beardie..about 21" in length. A couple months ago I bought him a custom sliding glass door enclosure. Dimension are 4ft x 2ft x 2ft and all white enterior. My problem is that Drake never wants to stay in it..like ever. Every morning when the lights come on he immediately begins to glass surf. Sometimes he even tries jumping/climbing up the back wall of the enclosure. He'll go crazy until I let him out...where he'll run around and plop himself somewhere to fall asleep. He always looks so depressed to be inside. I use a Reptisun T5 High Output Uvb bulb with a reflector covering a little more than half his enclosure..and a halogen flood light for his basking spot..temps going to around 102 on his basking side and around 85 on the cool side. I'll include a picture.

I seriously don't know what to do to make him happy. I sometimes cant even feed him until hes calmed down outside of the tank. I feed him collard greens, squash, and superworms every 3 days. Hes full of energy which is good..but I'm concerned that I may have done something wrong with his enclosure? I dont understand why he doesnt like it in there. Anyone have any suggestions? Could it be the uvb bulb being a High output maybe?

full

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I believe you have a bored dragon who is acting out to get your attention and because he's currently super hormonal too (it's peak of breeding season in the northern hemisphere) and he needs more things to explore in his very spartan looking tank and more time outside to use up some his extra beans will do him a wild of good.

Preezy

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":25hjd94o said:
I believe you have a bored dragon who is acting out to get your attention and because he's currently super hormonal too (it's peak of breeding season in the northern hemisphere) and he needs more things to explore in his very spartan looking tank and more time outside to use up some his extra beans will do him a wild of good.

Do you think the tank looks too bland? Hes been doing this since about November of last year..also..the t5 10.0 high output bulb..that has nothing to do with the behavior?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Preezy":7gxhw1lw said:
kingofnobbys":7gxhw1lw said:

Do you think the tank looks too bland? Hes been doing this since about November of last year..also..the t5 10.0 high output bulb..that has nothing to do with the behavior?
More less than "enriching" …. bearded dragons benefit from enrichment furnature and regular rearrangements of their stuff and daily time to go free range in the house (under supervision) ,and in the garden and yard if it's safe to take them out there (again under strict and very close observation).

How far is the t5 10.0 tube from the basking spot and the floor ?

Is it in a proper reflector hood. If no and it's too far away , the UVA will be very low and can contribute to lethargy in a dragon.
See this for proper spacing : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=235611

What are the temperatures during the day at the warm zone and the basking spot ?
see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=233516
How do you measure them ?

Preezy

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3871n1bi said:
Preezy":3871n1bi said:
kingofnobbys":3871n1bi said:

More less than "enriching" …. bearded dragons benefit from enrichment furnature and regular rearrangements of their stuff and daily time to go free range in the house (under supervision) ,and in the garden and yard if it's safe to take them out there (again under strict and very close observation).

Is it in a proper reflector hood. If no and it's too far away , the UVA will be very low and can contribute to lethargy in a dragon.

What are the temperatures during the day at the warm zone and the basking spot ?

Well as you can see in the picture the basking light and the tube are almost next to each other. Also the height is about 24 inches from the ground..around 19 inches if hes on his logs and other things. Seeing as yes he does have a reflector and it's a high output I thought it'd most definitely reach the floor. Hes not lethargic at all.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Preezy":2hztqw19 said:
kingofnobbys":2hztqw19 said:
Preezy":2hztqw19 said:
kingofnobbys":2hztqw19 said:

Well as you can see in the picture the basking light and the tube are almost next to each other. Also the height is about 24 inches from the ground..around 19 inches if hes on his logs and other things. Seeing as yes he does have a reflector and it's a high output I thought it'd most definitely reach the floor. Hes not lethargic at all.

At 19" from tube (and reflector hood ?) to the ground , next to zero UVB is getting there .
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=234800 , I calculate / estimate that only 50-60 microW UVB flux / sq.cm at the basking spot in your setup (this is way too low), UVA flux will also be way to low to be healthy for your dragon.

A t5ho in reflector hood needs to be no more than 16" from the floor and about 10" from the basking spot , the reflector hood essentially doubles the UVA flux and UVB flux . If the fitting has no reflector built in , these distances are halved.
Aim for 200 microW UVB flux / sq.cm at the basking spot.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is a nice looking tank, sizeable enough to make a few changes.
He looks healthy but I agree, he probably is a bit hormonal & just would like a little more
attention. Maybe build him a platform to where he can climb up a little higher, something
that is a bit larger & wider for him. Or you could try to find a nice looking grapevine or piece
of large driftwood or pieces you could possibly screw together to make a nice basking area for
him.
They are semi-arboreal so they don't climb all of the time, but they do appreciate some type of
climbing apparatus & area for exercise.
Is that a little bed for him in the far left side?

Tracie

Preezy

Original Poster
Drache613":2zp3m5tw said:
Hello,

He looks healthy but I agree, he probably is a bit hormonal & just would like a little more
attention. Maybe build him a platform to where he can climb up a little higher, something
that is a bit larger & wider for him. Or you could try to find a nice looking grapevine or piece
of large driftwood or pieces you could possibly screw together to make a nice basking area for
him.
They are semi-arboreal so they don't climb all of the time, but they do appreciate some type of

Tracie

It's a hide I made out of a box. with a cloth on top haha. He never uses it though :( also do you think my uvb is a problem? The above poster said it is. But i want multiple people's opinion on it. I was under the impression that t5 ho could reach up to 25"..and my bulb is hung 24" above the ground AND with a reflector..

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Preezy":32wqnr5x said:
Drache613":32wqnr5x said:
Hello,

him.

Tracie

It's a hide I made out of a box. with a cloth on top haha. He never uses it though :( also do you think my uvb is a problem? The above poster said it is. But i want multiple people's opinion on it. I was under the impression that t5 ho could reach up to 25"..and my bulb is hung 24" above the ground AND with a reflector..

Can "reach 25" from the tube sure …. but as already shown …. the UVA and UVB flux at that distance even if you have a very good reflector behind the UVB tube will be next to nothing (10 microW UVB/ sq.cm IF YOU ARE LUCKY and it's a brand new tube !!! , your dragon needs 200 microW UVB / sq.cm at the basking spot and about 100 microW UVB / sq.cm on the floor.)

All they mean is UV will be "detectable" at that distance , they are not saying this is the appropriate distance.
Repeated for your benefit : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=234800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom