need some input help on my beardies behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
this will fall in behaviour/enclosures im sure tomorrow be a week since my beardie is been on the new enclosure i am sure hes very used to it he never uses its hide and she sleeps in diferent parts of the enclosure every night ever since shes got in this new enclosure has not been basking properly so her appetite has decreased which is understandable here is the old enclosure she was basking and behaving normally[ximg]97755 3860897594[/ximg]ok so with the new enclosure this is how i set it up initially i had this setup for 3 days[ximg]97755 4703527633[/ximg]so she would not climb up there unless i put it up there and she will stay there for a while so i put this in front [ximg]97755 3594909269[/ximg]same thing she would just climb the first branch and stay there unless i picked her up and put it on the branch myself today she slept on top of the brown hide and stayed there till i woke up this afternoon again i put it on the branch but she would not move much so i figured she is not comfortable in the branch so i just did this[ximg]97755 7180362441[/ximg]now that is the easiest way to the basking spot lol but why is that happening the fluorescent light is a t5 ho 10.0 but is below 100 micro watts she was getting like 30 before so maybe she does not like the increased uvb or she was not comfortable on the branch i just installed a ve 200 d thermostat i just ordered the night drop so the lights will go off without having to shut off the thermostat as long as the ambient temp is 92 the basking spots stays 95 to 102 it does not matter what i put as a basking platform i tested it my enclosure height is 23.5 as long as the platform is 8 inches high with this 100 watt bulb as long as the ambient temp is between 91-92 basking is fine.any suggestions?the only thing i can rely on is my instruments infrared gun,solar meter i don't know whats up with this gal dragon.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
update on beardie behaviour something is bothering him,s he got some infection in hes tummy when i first got him but with meds it went away i don't know if it came back he has not been eating this last 2 days, he pooped today not very much but he also has not been eating so nothing to poop so is not impaction, ever since i put him on hes new enclosure hes acting differently.also he doesn't care for basking all that much i changed the enclosure and put a 5.0 to see of that made a difference but is not that next tuesday if it don't change will have to take it to the vet.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The enclosure looks nice and the temps/lights are good. He may want some time to adjust or maybe just doesn't want the full heat and UVB exposure which is OK. I would keep things the same for a week or two and see if that gives him time to adjust. I like the driftwood branches but I'd just stick with one setup and let that settle for a bit and see how it goes. If he is acting lethargic/sleepy outside the tank too it may be an underlying issue but if he's just not basking a lot then I'd let him settle in for a bit for now.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Im taking beardie to the vet tomorrow its not the enclosure he looks like hes got some discomfort on her belly a slight contipation/impaction i was bathing her and thats how she was pooping but i stopped doing that because she doesnt make an effort to go bask at all and the little that she ate probably she wasnt basking long enough to digest properly today i seen her worse tgen yesterday she does not have a complete black beard but her beard is puffed up black on the bottom and red on top red is her natural color.i dont think is impaction is something else.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
i think my beardie is trying to brumate and im interrupting it because i dont know any better hes been with me for 3.5 months and the breeder said he was 4 months old i read that a beardie can go into brumation as soon as 8 months he was very active yesterday not so much today just wants to sleep today he ate 2 good size dubias and 2 mealworms he hasn't eaten much in the past 2 weeks 2 roaches here and there he looks healthy i took my beardie to the vet and he gave metronidazole he got that before back in march when i got him infection of the large intestine this meds are used in dogs i think the meds kicked in ok but hes trying to brumate normally the lights go off at 800 pm i shut them off today at 530pm and i put him in hes hide and he went to sleep right away looks to me like brumation i also was told that is not unsual for captive besrdies to brumate in summer and i was told by the vet my beardie is female and sometimes they still lay eggs so have to look for that and put some soil for her to lay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom