Gaping from Affection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dullnova

Hello! I have an ~8-month-old beardie, and he has recently developed this habit of gaping each time that I get him out of his viv. There are no signs of respiratory illness (mucous, heavy breathing, etc). Could this be chalked up to a weird beardie personality trait, or could I be missing some underlying evidence of illness?

My general viv info:

Basking temp. — Around 100-105 degrees (fahrenheit)
Hot side temp. — 85-90 degrees
Cool side temp. — 70-80 degrees
Humidity — hovers anywhere from 30-50 (I live in the southern US, so it’s quite humid in my home, anyway.)

I do leave a small dish of water in the viv daily so that Gil can get his soak on, but it’s far from any heat source and doesn’t seem to drastically change the tank’s humidity.

Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I see them do that outside of the tank sometimes. It's common while they are basking though. I consider it typical behavior and if all else is well then it's not cause for concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom