Black Belly in Tank, but Cream when held.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardiemom1996

Hey guys! I was wondering if any of you could help me figure this out, I'm a new Beardie mom. When my girl is in the tank her belly is black almost all the time, but when she sees me she dances a bit and when I take her out and hold her for about 5-10 mins her belly is completely cream colored. Is she not happy with the tank? She has a climbing tree, a hiding place, a basking spot, and the temperature on the warm side is high 80 to low 90s, the cool side stays around 70-75. She's a Juvenile so her diet is mainly crickets and meal worms, veggies every other day, and fruit twice a week.. but she refuses to eat the fruit...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Either she's cold in the tank
or
she really likes being held.

Probably both. As a human body is the perfect temperature for a bearded dragon , is coincidentially spot on a bearded dragons preferred body temperature range (34-36 degC).

Check the tank temperatures with a good digital thermometer (air temperatures) and a noncontact thermometer (surface temperatures).
warm side is high 80 to low 90s
can do with being bumped up by a few degrees F..

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
how old is she?

when my guy got to be around 2 and a half to 3 years old, he started preferring to be near/on me rather than in his tank, as nobby said, the human body is pretty much prime temperature for beardies, but they also bond pretty strongly with their human slaves. once they no longer need constant feeding and all day basking, they seem to prefer to be near their slaves than in their tanks

Mine does the same thing. He wakes me up early by eating crickets in his bowl and running around his cage and glass surfing, at this point he is a cream color inside his cage but if I leave him in their for a couple hours he seems to get 'depressed', he has stress marks/dark color and just sits on the cool side like he is upset. Once I get him out he immediately wants to get down on the floor and explore the house. Whenever he is out of the cage being mischievous/annoying is when he has the whitest belly and seems the happiest :mrgreen:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ALL my beardies have LOVED snuggles , especially once that were over 18 months old. Peppa lives for her snuggles and seems to crave snuggles especially from her daddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom