* Energetic *

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jauly

My bearded dragon came out of his first brumation 3 weeks ago (he's now almost a year old)...since he's been awake he spends literally all of his time running around his viv digging, jumping (literally leaping) from one area to the next, trying to come out...when I bring him out he's running down to the floor then back up to the couch with me...he's just extremely active...had to put an actual bedding in his viv found it very cruel to have something hard under him while he's in this mood...he's eating just fine and his viv is 100F in the warm side and between 65-70 in the cool side (I test with my infrared thermometer). I'm just worried he'll get hurt when I'm not home...I've an arch above my viv where my lights and such are... I had to remove his log and my tube light because he was jumping on it...Any advise on the reasons why he's doing this would be appreciated. Thank you.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I noticed hyperactivity after brumation too. Just try to let him run around as much as you can while you're home and try to make the enclosure as safe as possible (no sharp edges, nothing to get nails snagged in etc). Other than that, it's a matter of just waiting it out. It could last a few weeks or a month or more. It seems to vary between dragons.

Jauly

Original Poster
CooperDragon":ufrl0buk said:
I noticed hyperactivity after brumation too. Just try to let him run around as much as you can while you're home and try to make the enclosure as safe as possible (no sharp edges, nothing to get nails snagged in etc). Other than that, it's a matter of just waiting it out. It could last a few weeks or a month or more. It seems to vary between dragons.

Okay thank you...and yeah he's pretty much down to his veggie dish, a rock under his basking light and his water fountain at this point also had to put a screen between him and his lights. Was surprised just how high they could actually leap. I will spend some time lizard proofing my living room so I can let him run around safely on the floor supervised of course, but when I'm constantly moving him away from things he gets a little pissy with me. ^^

Jauly

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3hm3ew4y said:
They are surprisingly good jumpers. A bit off the original topic but here's a slow mo video of my guy Darwin jumping up after a hornworm a few weeks ago. https://vimeo.com/261722135
Ohhh that's pretty awesome....pretty baby you got there....and yeah mine has yet to calm down lol...but I've been giving him more floor time when I'm able to...I'm thinking he might need a bigger home for himself as well...deeper even so he can't catch on to the sides and get out. ^^ Thank you for sharing and giving advise...much appreciated...Nachos' is my first beardie..my mom had hers for over 10yrs before he passed of old age...but she couldn't give much help since her's was so spoiled it barely moved for anything...she hand fed him even his veggies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":ba6iot10 said:
They are surprisingly good jumpers. A bit off the original topic but here's a slow mo video of my guy Darwin jumping up after a hornworm a few weeks ago. https://vimeo.com/261722135

cripes …. I've seen water dragons , jacky dragons , lots of skinks and geckos do that …. and hatchling beardies leap to snatch a fly or moth from mid air.

Those hornworms must be very yummy !!!

Can't imagine my big lazy girl Peppa doing that …. she knows dad will give her silkworms, superworm (treats) and crickets to her by hand most the time.
Her current speed are :
basking speed
snuggling speed
and occasionally a lazy wonder about to visit the window and look out , or see if the hall door is closed.

I still miss Rex (she had her moments) , and we knew we were alive when Toothless was out on patrol. Fluffy the water skink is a lot like Toothless was (she has perpetual ants in her pants and rarely sits or lays still when out for more than few minutes (when there are just so many interesting things to look at - she's another livewire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom