Loss of appetite when on antibiotics??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aks0203

Hello,

Dio is 3 years old female, 22 inches. Recently she was not eating or drinking anything and I thought it could be because of her shading but 2 weeks went by and she was constantly running around my room. I took her to vet. I realized, in winter I changed my house and in previous place she used to bask in window under direct sunlight (without any screens or glass) but as summer started, new house doesnt get much sunlight. Vet gave her Baytril and Metacam, She looks okay now much calm, But still doesn't want to eat. I am wondering if these antibiotics have side effects and could be the reason she is not eating.

I do have her enclosure as well, 40 gallons, 2 UBV at different spots (Reptisun 10.0, Reptisun 5.0), 150 watts basking. Basking temp is 100F.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the antibiotics can cause their appetite to decline. Offering a probiotic is a good idea. Non dairy yogurt usually contains the right probiotic (lactobacillus acidophilus). It's also a good idea to offer extra water by dripping on their nose to lick up. That will help them process the meds and protect their kidneys. Her appetite will probably bounce back not too long after the meds are done.

Aks0203

Original Poster
Thanks,

Your words gave me hope. 17 more days to go with antibiotics. Will try giving her some dairy free yogurt today and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom