Is there a nipping stage with beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terra213

So I've had my little guy for less than a month now, he's just about to turn 4 months. He's been all together warming up well, last night he even fell asleep in my lap, but I have noticed some other behavioral changes.
Last night my finger was kinda closed to his belly and he nipped at me. Not a hard bite but more of a warning so I thought it was my bad for being to close to his underside. Then this morning my hand was just sitting on my lap a good 6 inches away and he charged my thumb and did the same thing. 2 other times I caught him right before he made contact.
Prior to all that the only time I've been bitten by him is when I've hand fed him something slippery like kiwi or melon. So I guess I'm just curious, is this the beardie equivalent to hair pulling in toddlers? I know some species of mamnals also bite when they wanna play, learned that the hard way with donkeys. But what's the best way to correct this behavior or will it just go away as he grows? Right now I just look at him and tell him that's bad, but I know he doesn't understand that

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Didn't perhaps just handle his food / insects with the same hand ?.... I'd be willing to bet he smelt his food and thought some was on you ....

He's still learning about his human .... and will make some mistakes until he has you and the feeding routine sussed.

Terra213

Original Poster
I don't think it was food driven, it had been over an hour since I had fed him and I had set him back briefly to wash my hands. He also wasn't too hungry this morning either, but I think that's because he pigged out on greens and crickets for dinner. It was just such a quick change I wasn't sure if it was just him learning or if I had done something wrong. If he continues this sort of pattern, is there anything I can do to train him not to bite?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Terra213":3i91d278 said:
I don't think it was food driven, it had been over an hour since I had fed him and I had set him back briefly to wash my hands. He also wasn't too hungry this morning either, but I think that's because he pigged out on greens and crickets for dinner. It was just such a quick change I wasn't sure if it was just him learning or if I had done something wrong. If he continues this sort of pattern, is there anything I can do to train him not to bite?

Then maybe he's being a tad tank territorial (he regards the tank he lives in as "his" and is not happy about intrusions or he hasn't decided he trusts you yet (and this is fear response) .
Does he do this when you give him food ?
I suggest - every time threat gapes at you ....pop a yummy food treat in the side of the mouth .... he'll soon either get so full he'll not be game to open the mouth at you or he'll learn you are not going to hurt him and he can trust you.

Terra213

Original Poster
I'm definitely gonna give that a try. When I have him out he's also been going for my hair, prolly because long dangly thing, and last thing I'd want to happen is him eat some and get impacted. Maybe putting some kiwi in the way will get him to stop lol. Is kicking also a territorial thing? He's been swatting at me with his back leg quite a bit this week. I know a couple I earned, he had a couple dangling pieces of shed, but other times is offer him my hand to get up on and he'd start kicking me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom