Yoda living up to his name?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a soon to be 5 year old in a couple weeks.
I got him when he was presumably 3.

I have heard a lot about Beardie lifespans from 5 all of the way to 25. I was also told it depends on morph. I have a citrus with blue also added to his pattern on his back but hard to see sometimes. Boy looks pretty good.

So anyways, I am just getting worried because he has lived a pretty healthy life with me. He is at a pretty good weight and evthing except losing part of his tail last year and the vet put him on antibiotics and pain meds and now he has a nub. barely has any trouble with it though.

But lately he is just been acting....old. Doesn't want veggies, wont chase after crickets anymore just eats the ones close by, and stopped basking which is even crazier because he loves his basking spot usually. He mainly goes to the cool side now and sleeps all day and all night. We get a few hours of seeing him awake during the day but he's not active and moving. Just chilling in one spot. Few nights ago my girlfriend went to go hold him and he was actually non responsive to all her touches. She had to physically pick him up and carry him in order for him to open his eyes. I would have believed he passed away if his beard didnt give it away that he was still here with us. Immediately though we gave him another soak just because. He didnt like it but I just wanted to rule out dehydration. Also, I assist with all his poops now because almost every one, he is dang near prolapsing. Not full blown prolapse, but close enough. Not hard poops or big ones either. Seem normal otherwise.

This also isnt sudden at all....He's never been a super active boy but he gradually has gotten slower the 2 years I have had him. Which is what was making me worried it was age.

Some details: 40G tank. Veggies everyday and 40 crickets on Saturdays. Occasional pinky every now and again. Gets loved on a lot.

What was your older beardies behaivour like?
Also I say vet visit. Girlfriend doesnt. Yay or nay?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A vet visit is usually a good idea if you're concerned and if you have an experienced reptile vet in the area. Vets not familiar with reptiles can wind up doing more harm than good. The near prolapse is concerning. I would offer more water by dripping it on his nose from a dropper or syringe so he can lick it up. Offer him foods that are hydrating such as squash. Once he is well hydrated he may start to feel better. Take him outside for natural sunlight. That sometimes perks them up. He may enjoy sitting by a window to look outside too.

TheChesterField

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2tnxc4qj said:
A vet visit is usually a good idea if you're concerned and if you have an experienced reptile vet in the area. Vets not familiar with reptiles can wind up doing more harm than good. The near prolapse is concerning. I would offer more water by dripping it on his nose from a dropper or syringe so he can lick it up. Offer him foods that are hydrating such as squash. Once he is well hydrated he may start to feel better. Take him outside for natural sunlight. That sometimes perks them up. He may enjoy sitting by a window to look outside too.

I was thinking that. Luckily I live in Vegas so there is a few.
I was really worried about the prolapsing also. I am gonna take him in. I have done all of that and he isnt perking up. He is currently eating a banana though so thats something.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you do see a prolapse, you can treat it on the spot using a bath of cool water and plenty of sugar which should help reduce swelling. Then it may either retract on it's own or may need some help from a gloved hand. It's important to keep it clean rinsing with water and possibly using some betadine to sanitize if needed. http://www.anapsid.org/prolapse.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom