Odd Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roovin

So I've had my bearded dragon for about 2 months now.

He's been eating a ton, pooping a ton, basking a ton...He's been 100% normal and his growth has been astronomical. When I got him he was ~20 grams and 2 weeks ago he weighed 140 grams :shock:

But the past few days have me a bit worried. This might be normal behavior but since this is my first reptile ever I am a bit concerned. He has been eating way less (although just now he ate what for him was a normal meal) and hiding most of the day. His poops have been like 1/3rd of what they normally are. Temps are all the same they have ever been ever since I got him. 110F in his basking spot, ~100F on top of a another basking spot more towards the middle and about 80-84F for ambient on the "cool" side.

Before when he wasn't hiding all the time his body tempt would be anywhere from 96-99F whenever I randomly tested it, now he's at like 92F and he seems a bit darker (I've read this is just a thing they do to try and soak up more heat).

I just can't come up with any reason why he just decided to all of a sudden eat less and hide all the time the past few days. Everything is the exact same as it has always been. He isn't lethargic at all when he is out and about but he just hides most of the time :(

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that he isn't lethargic when you have him out. Do you see signs of stress like black bearding? Sometimes they hit a plateau in their growth and will slow down for a bit. It sounds like he's been growing like a weed so far. Keep an eye on his weight for now and make food available on the normal schedule but I'd let him be if his weight is stable and he's otherwise OK.

Roovin

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2r3whauu said:
It's good that he isn't lethargic when you have him out. Do you see signs of stress like black bearding? Sometimes they hit a plateau in their growth and will slow down for a bit. It sounds like he's been growing like a weed so far. Keep an eye on his weight for now and make food available on the normal schedule but I'd let him be if his weight is stable and he's otherwise OK.
Not anymore then he normally has. Just a small tinge of black. Thanks for the reply. I'm probably just overreacting a little bit.

CliffsMom

I believe as they get bigger they don't require quite as much heat. The heat requirements for baby are a bit higher than for an adult - it's weight/size dependent. It's not a big change so I wouldn't worry. As you get to know him better you'll get used to his little routines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom