She Keeps Clawing Against the Glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

maimagi

I've been having some issues with my beardie ever since she got out of brumation a few months back. She won't stop clawing at her tank and pressing her nose against it. She's started to mess up the scale pattern around her nose as such, which adds more stress to me. She stands up on her tail to get as tall as possible and try to escape. I've seen several entries with similar issues, but none of those given solutions have worked for me. I tried covering up the sides of her tank and some of the front to remove her reflection thinking she was threatened by it (the back already has a background) and that did nothing but enrage her more. I checked to see if she may have eggs, but nothing. I double checked her diet, temps, and lights and that all seems to be in line. I've tried getting her out more, but that stresses her out more and makes her even more aggressive. She puffs up, hisses, and lunges anytime I move when she's out. She doesn't really roam in my room when I let her out, just sits there for the hour+ that she's out. I've had her for around 9 months now. She's between 2-3 years old (not sure exactly seeing as she was rehomed to me), I have her in a 50 gallon glass tank, she has a basking temp of 94F and a cool side of 80F, gets basking light for 14 hours, UV for 9. Her substrate is an ecocarpet, she gets veggies daily (roughly 2 tablespoons of squash, zucchini, carrots, and the occasional apple) and bugs every other day (crickets mostly as they're cheaper and she gets about 15 of those) gets calcium every other day, multivitamins once or twice a week. She gets a bath once a week to every other week so I can clean her tank. Sorry for the long post, I'm just not sure what to do at this point and am really stressed and worried about her.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Has she always disliked time outside the tank? Do you have a window sill you can put her near so she can look outside? A lot of them like that. You might also try setting up a portable basking light in the room so she can warm up. Sometimes that helps them be more comfortable outside of the tank. I think letting her burn off energy is the key. If her nose is wounded then you can try putting some raw/unpasteurized honey on it to help protect it and help it heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom