I Just Can't Seem to tame my bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaNezSait

Hello! My 2 month old beardie keeps closing his eyes when I'm anywhere near him? I got him about 5 weeks ago, and have been interacting with him everyday. I've heard from somewhere that this can be a sign that you're bothering them?

He's never really enjoyed being around me (except when I'm feeding him.) But, now when I even get close to his tank he closes his eyes. He hates being picked up but is fine with just sitting on my hand. Whenever I try to pet him he closes his eyes and moves away. And, when I try to take him out he closes his eyes, and then tries to get back into his enclosure. He's been acting like this ever since I got him. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong? I'm starting to get discouraged that I'll ever mange to tame him. Does anyone have any tips on what I should do? Thanks!

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
try this

wear an old shirt for about 24 hours, being sure not to get it too dirty.
then, cut off a sleeve or something and place that piece on his basking spot

this will let him get used to your scent at a steady and non-threatening pace.

since he's so young, and you only got him recently, he sees you as a potential predator.
using the shirt trick, and handling him on HIS terms (not yours) he'll overcome it eventually.

if he's waving at you, try mimicing the motion back at him. the waving is a sign of submission, so waving back at him may help allieviate his worries

CliffsMom

Does your tank open from the side or on top? If you have to reach over him to pick him up or pet him you're probably freaking him out. I don't know about the shirt trick, but there is something that will train up all animals (even us): food!! Take him out of the tank as gently as you can and let him chill for a a couple minutes until he's calm again ON THE FLOOR SOMEWHERE CLEAR OF HIDEY HOLES. You don't want him to jump off a bed or have to freak him out more by pulling my backwards out from under the fridge. Been there, done that ;-) i say take him out so you don't have to reach over him. That'll have an instinctive response that's just too hard to get over for now. Put something super yummy like bits of peeled apple near him and as he's eating scootch your hand closer until he looks nervous and then pull back a bit and let him eat. Just do that every day, doing more and more with him :) It WILL work eventually - like dogs and dolphins and horses and preschoolers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom