"training" your dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They communicate visually so you aren't likely to get them to respond to verbal commands. They tend to respond well to routine so you can often train them to poop in a specific area which is nice.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
It would take probably quite some time to train a bearded dragon to come when called but you can do it. Currently I'm training all three of mine, my adult female, Venus is the quicker learner of the group. Meanwhile the sub-adult and the adult male are still a bit iffy on it.

You just need a few of their favorite treats and a dog clicker, like the one you use to train dogs.

Theres probably other methods in doing this but what I do is place the beardie about a foot from me, call its name and then drop whatever the treat is right in front of me, normally a superworm. The beardie will at first only come because it sees the treat, when it goes to eat the treat you click the clicker and then say the beardies name.
Over time the beardie will learn to associate the name being called with food, you also increase the distance each time to get farther and farther from the beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom