Comfort over heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my new bearded dragon now for just under two weeks and she is settling in really well. It's been a steep learning curve, but I am getting there and seem to have worked out most of her "quirks" :D. The only issue I am having at the moment is I have just bought her a new bed, it's actually a bed for rats and chinchillas, but it is almost like a cave shape so I thought it would be nice for her to hide in and get warmth at night if she gets a little bit cold.

Well she absolutely loves it. She hasn't actually been in it yet, but sits on top of it like a balcony. The problem is she now seems to be spending all of her time on it. It is currently at the cool end of her viv as I think it's too tall to go at the basking end as she would be too close to her basking lamp. I was just wondering would beardies choose comfort over getting warm as before I got it for her she spent the majority of her day in the hot end of her viv, whereas now she spends most of her time on this bed. Nothing about the tank setup has changed since putting the bed in i.e. temps, humidity etc. I've literally just put this bed in.

She seems fine, no black beard, eating, exploring when I let her out etc. Am I just overthinking this?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Double check the temperatures at the cool and warm ends of the viv , and the at the basking spot using something similar to this : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-LCD-Electronic-Digital-Thermometer-Fish-Tank-Water-Detector-Practica-BU/252762165947?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D6ac464a2a1b24339be32c744b2ff5cf9%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D201577608563

Especially if you bought kit from the petshop that included a dial / analog stick on thermometer (they are hopelessly inaccurate).

Don't be surprised if it's hotter in the warm zone and basking spot than you thought, hence the dragon staying in the cooler end of the tank.

And yes , dragons do have a preferred temperature range (which happens to be very close to human body temperature (35 degC is their POTR see - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aquarium-LCD-Electronic-Digital-Thermometer-Fish-Tank-Water-Detector-Practica-BU/252762165947?_trksid=p2385738.c100677.m4598&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3D6ac464a2a1b24339be32c744b2ff5cf9%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D201577608563).

sparkybeardyandme

Original Poster
I've got a thermometer very similar to that. In her basking area right by her lamp is about 42 degrees celcius. (105ish farenheit). Then her general warm area is closer to 36 degrees celcius (95ish farenheit). Then the cool end sits at around 25 degrees celcius (77 farenheit). So I think that's roughly OK and what is confusing me is that before putting this bed in she loved to be in the hot end. But now it's like she stays there just long enough to get warm and then goes back to her bed again.

I've got the whole viv on a thermostat as well so it keeps the temperatures fairly stable (although I do double check regularly to keep an eye on them). I think she's just really comfy, but just wondered if they can spend so much time away from the basking end.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
sparkybeardyandme":2wp71c5t said:
I've got a thermometer very similar to that. In her basking area right by her lamp is about 42 degrees celcius. (105ish farenheit). Then her general warm area is closer to 36 degrees celcius (95ish farenheit). Then the cool end sits at around 25 degrees celcius (77 farenheit). So I think that's roughly OK and what is confusing me is that before putting this bed in she loved to be in the hot end. But now it's like she stays there just long enough to get warm and then goes back to her bed again.

I've got the whole viv on a thermostat as well so it keeps the temperatures fairly stable (although I do double check regularly to keep an eye on them). I think she's just really comfy, but just wondered if they can spend so much time away from the basking end.

If the temps are bang on the mark , I'd say she really likes the bed .... keep on eye on her behavior for a few days to a week but i think there's nothing to worry about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom