Opening Mouth When Trying to Handle Him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaegerthedrag

98199-8460771958.jpg
My Bearded dragon, Jaegar keeps opening his mouth when we try to handle him. He is only 4 months and sometimes he’s fine and doesn’t open his mouth, but this morning he did it to me and my wife. Anyone knows why he would be doing this?

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Did you try and get him from a different angle than usual? Is he nearing a shed? What bulbs are you using in that fixture? What are you using for bedding? Young dragons do best on carpet, tile, non adhesive shelf liner, and a few other solid substrates. Older dragons, since they're less at risk, can be housed on sand but is generally still advised against since an adult dragon can also be impacted if he or she ingest a lot of sand. If your dragon is on walnut shells or sand, it'd be best to use some of the substrates listed earlier.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I Believe you are scaring him. He is in a defensive position because you are gigantic to him and he thinks you're a predator and will eat him. You aren't of course but its his instinct to stay alive. I Would try to go to him very slowly and maybe let your hand just rest in his cage. Eventually he will get to know that you're not a threat and lighten up to you.

Some other good substrates are: Paper towel, newsprint, slate tile, peel and stick tile, or Even linoleum will work. Just don't ever have Any age beardie on ANY type of loose substrate.

Happy Easter and Resurrection Sunday! :blob5: :D

-HippieLizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaota88
Top Bottom