Afraid of roaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
My silly boy is about 5 months old. Seems very healthy and and happy. Comes out every day and usually seems very happy having me as a personal playground/poop spot. A couple of behavior questions. Is it normal that suddenly he seems to only poop when he is out of his viv and on me? And now that he is getting bigger I am trying to let him roam and explore but I’m not so sure he likes this idea. When I put him down he seems to run for the nearest wall and bangs his head and/ or lay flat as a pancake and close his eyes and plays dead. Even when I pick him up he will play dead lizard and I have to pet and cuddle him till I feel him snuggle and then he will open one eye look around and usually go back to sleep. Is it normal for them to be afraid of roaming?
97320-4500877461.jpg

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Yes, beardy behavior can vary. Some beardies immediately want to explore, others need warming up, and I'm sure some don't prefer to explore at all. It does depend on how large the space is and how exposed your beardy may feel. For example, when i let my beardy in the bathroom and i sit down with him, he explores and does just fine. When i put him in a tub and let him go outside(can't actually let him out since there is a chlorine pool in front and easy beardy sized escape routes, plus he might be able to climb a portion of the wall, I also live in the interior west) he starts acting funny and gets so stressed he'll poop a quite liquidy one which he unfortunately runs in sometimes. In the bathroom, he is exposed to similar lighting at a farther distance but he is limited to a smaller safer area. Outside, the Sun is shining brightly, he is in a "clear" tub and he can see that there is so much more open space than the bathroom and no where to hide. Reptiles want to feel secure, hence why beardies will also hide in extremely tight crevices around the house if given the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom