Post separation anger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drea805

We have 2 male beardies. They have lived together in a 50 gal terrarium since we took them both in. They are about 6 and 8 months old. Recently the older one has being acting dominant and I found a bite mark on the smaller one so we put a divider between them in the terrarium. They both have adequate heat and light, but they have both been angry since we separated them. One hasn't eaten in the past 3 days and the other has barely eaten, and refuses water. Any advice?

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

You MUST separate them IMMEDIATELY. Male beardies can NEVER be housed together. When they are very very, Very young is the ONLY exception. These two can never be around each other any more. It is not worth the risk. You should move the one that attacked the smaller one to a bin until you buy him a new tank. The one that got attacked doesn't need any more stress.
They will need to be separate for the rest of their lives. In separate enclosures. ALWAYS.

I would get a plastic storage bin, Like one of these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hefty-72-Qt-Hi-Rise-Clear-Latch-Box-Teal-Sachet-Lid-and-Handles/49660495 Could you please post some pics of them and their setup, The bite mark, and the UVB lights? https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

What Is their substrate? What type is the UVB lights? T8 or T5? Coil or Tube? and How old are the lights?

The reason they are not eating, Especially the one that got attacked is because it got attacked. It's a very stressful situation for both of them to be housed together. As they have to compete for the best Heat, UVB, Food, and Basking spots. Male beardies are extremely territorial and you are very lucky that the bigger one did not kill the smaller one.

Keep us posted. Good luck.

-HippieLizards.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Even with the divider, they’ll likely still be very aware of each other, so as the previous poster mentioned, two separate enclosures where they can’t hear/see/smell each other is necessary. They’re angry right now because they’ve both entered into a state of aggression toward each other, and they’re each very aware that their enemy is on the other side of that divider. Housing two males together almost always ends in tragedy, so from this point forward they need to each believe they’re the only beardie in your household. Side note: males are usually larger than females, so make sure you don’t shortchange either on space. I always recommend a 4x2x2 enclosure for an adult beardie.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Two males must NEVER be kept together , and it's best that you arrange to have house them in their own vivs in separate rooms ( even seeing each other or smelling each other will cause extreme stress and extreme dominance / territorial displays.

Males are very capably of killing each other or wripping legs and arms and tails off each other and permanently and horribly disabling each other , and it only takes moments !!! you and injured male got off VERY LIGHTLY .... wont be so lucky next time !!

If you can't house in separate rooms , them your best option is stacking their individual tanks / tubs , least this way the only they will see each other is when one comes out.

Setting up tubs as temporary tanks is very quick and easy , see my thread ....viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom