Please help my new beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bekovz

Hey there guys, I'm very very new to the beardie game and I'm desperate for some advice. I don't want my beardie suffering anymore :( we just got her 2 days ago and she's been pretty good with being handled and we've given her a bath, and she's been angry during it, but she never bit or reacted in any way that was worrying. But she has been rubbing her nose against the glass, and trying to get out almost non stop when she's in the cage. Does she just need more activity? I dont want to stress her out TOO much. I've tried everything to get the possible reflect to go away, any tips on that? Should I be keeping her in a different place other than in the living room?
I've tried everything, But she just won't relax in her cage.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Hi there, please go over what the basking temps and cool end temps are.
What type and brand of uvb are you using?
Anything between beardie and uvb? (screen, lens, glass, etc)
How close is uvb to basking spot?
What are you feeding them and how often?
If you could post a picture of the enclosure and beardie that would be great.

They need a couple of weeks to settle down to their new place. Just make sure they are hydrated by dripping water on the snout and see if they will drink. This can take a few tries till they realize what it is. I would wait on baths till a couple weeks unless they really need one, in that case, make it a quick clean up.

Bekovz

Original Poster
The hot side we let get up pretty high, between 80-110 anything past that we will turn it off for a little bit for a cool down. She spends most of her time on the cool side of the tank. Other than when she's sleeping. She has her basking stick in the middle so it's a neutral spot. We got the lights with the previous owner so unfortunately I'm not sure on brand. We've been trying to hand feed her Spinach and some carrots to get a bong going but she won't accept it much. Probably about twice a day Lots of crickets, and we got some veggie pellets with the previous owner as well.

full

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I have a feeling there is much wrong with your set up. First you need to be sure of your temperatures. What exactly are you using to check the temps? Any of those stick on type thermometers are not accurate enough. You need a digital with probe at the basking spot and/or a temperature gun. The actual basking spot should be 105-110 and the cool end 75-85. He needs to be able to cool down if he needs to. They do not sweat like us so they move around to control their body temp. If temps aren't correct he's either going to dehydrate if too hot or not be able to digest if it's too cool. I would get rid of the red light and get a regular halogen bulb. They can see light as well and it is highly recommended it not be used. I also see that your uvb is on top of the screen and away from the heat bulb. Unless we know what kind of uvb it is we can't know if it's very effective on top of the screen. It is very important for any beardie owner to know what brand the uvb is AND how old it is. These need replacing every so often but without knowing the brand we can't tell you when. It should also be placed to one end of the tank as close as you can get it to the basking spot. Unless we know the brand and type, we can't suggest how close your beardie should get to it. If you look at the end of the bulb there should be some information stamped on it. You can't just turn off the heat lamp to cool it down. I would get a lamp dimmer switch to get the temps in the right place so that you're just turning down the heat rather than turn it off. Their lights should be on around 14 hours a day, some say 16, it's up to you. It's best to get a timer so you don't have to worry about it. A young one like yours should eat bugs at least twice a day with one of those feeding dusted with calcium 5x week and the other 2 days with vitamins. I hope others will chime in here and give more advice. If you need help with anything or more questions please ask. It's often the owners that don't have enough (or the wrong) information that see their beardie get serioiusly sick or die.

Bekovz

Original Poster
This is esactly why I made an account to try and get as much information as I possibly can. I have been doing non stop research tying my best to make her life the best I possibly can. I currently have a digital thermometer in there to help us tell the tempature. But I will buy a gun today to help test it better. The red light was the main one on because she was just waking up in the morning so I turned some heat on to get her going again. He gave us an extra bulb that's 100w 'exoterra' intense basking spot light bulb. Bright orange packaging. Should I switch out the red for this one instead? Also how can I minimize the glass surfing? What can I safely put inside of the tank glass to minimize the reflection?

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah I would get rid of the red light. You may want the lamp dimmer, they are very cheap, can find them at the hardware store or online or you can get a lamp stand made for tanks that will allow you to adjust how close the bulb is. The dimmer seems easier and better to deal with though. Then place the uvb towards the basking side as close you can to the heat. This way they can get uv while basking and digesting. A temp gradient is just as important as a uv gradient. If you can find the stamp on the bulb it would help us a lot. You are looking for the brand name, something that says T5 or T8, maybe HO. If you have a T8 it will need to be mounted inside, where your little one can get within 6 inches of it. If it's a T5 this can stay on top of the screen and able to get within 10". It should also say 10.0 hopefully or 5.0 (not good enough for a beardie) There should also be no lens covering the uvb. I can't tell from the picture but I can tell it's a hood type fixture that some do come with a lens. UV cannot penetrate through glass or plastic and only some of it gets through screen. In either case, I would get a new bulb because you don't know for sure how old the one you have is. Depending on brand, the T5 needs replacing yearly and T8 every 6 months. If interested, I know where to get good fixtures and uvb if you are in the US. As far as the glass surfing, it could be a number of reasons. With mine, they either want out, food or drink, or to poop. I would just keep the area he's surfing more clear of furnishings. There isn't much else to do about reflection as you have the sides covered. But he may not be freaking out on his reflection either. You could let him roam around a secure area outside his enclosure? Keep in mind this is an adjustment period for him too.
That's great you are doing research. When I got my first beardie I didn't know there was research to be done so you are on a better track than when I started. I got advice from the pet store and previous owner that obviously didn't research much either.

Bekovz

Original Poster
Okay thank you. I changed out the red bulb for the other one that was given to us, but I didn't see any markings on it with any of those letters unfortunately. It is a mesh top aquarium. Could you give me some advice on handling? I don't want to push her too far too fast, I feel like she did just want to get out of the cage last night because she learned she could jump put of it using her basking spot, and I think that's what she was trying to do. The bath yesterday was nesecary, she pooped on herself a bit so we gave her some treats in the bath to make it a more calm situation. But, should we make a little area where she can safely run around outside of her terrarium when we take her out? The firs time was a little stressful, she jumped out of our hands and ran and hid under the couch. So, we're trying to hand feed her when she hisses to teach her it's not okay, and handling her will only bring positive things.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
The long tube (uvb) will probably have to be removed from the fixture to see the stamp. I would keep a routine for feeding and, yes, make a play area that is safe and you can spend time with him, that would be great. Try not to pick him up by placing your hand directly overhead, just come from the side of him. He could feel like a bird is swooping down on him. I would just treat him normal, handle him every once in a while. He will get used to you, some will need more time than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom