Constantly digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My beardies who we have had for a year in April is constantly digging. I take her out and she continues to do so on the sofa, on the floor, the carpet, my chest.. everywhere. Would it be okay to put sand in her enclosure? I'm aware of the risks, but I hand feed if I'm not to busy, and if I am then I put her in on my floor usually while I'm doing dishes in the morning or cleaning out the tub, she has a little metal bowl. My question is what type of sand is safest? She doesn't eat in her enclosure period. And I know she's a girl thanks to all the cool candle lighting posts :)
She currently has eco carpet for substrate. And some newspaper.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Its not just impaction thats the problem, its a whole bunch of other stuff that beardies are prone to.
With particle substrates you risk impaction, prolapses (This can cost up to 1,000 dollars to fix), bacterial infections, death, joint issues, fungal infections, stained scales, eye infections and much more.

Sand isn't even natural for them what so ever,
This is what their natural environment looks like.
89510-67838957.jpg
89510-6934070824.jpg
89510-6046881885.jpg
Rocks, dirt, clay, trees and shrubs. Barely any sand at all.

If you want to add a digging option I suggest putting fleece inside the hides so she can dig in there, or if your enclosure is big enough a small tub of soil can be used (Eco earth can be used for this as well).

If she's digging a lot then it's possible she may be carrying eggs, which in that case providing a small tub of soil, mixed with play sand and a bit of vermiculite can make a fairly good dig box if she is gravid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom