My beardie don’t like me!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don’t think my beardie likes me , everytime I try to pick it up it runs away from me & when I try to pet her it starts to get paranoid and shaky and then takes off , and her chin puffs up big time when I get near her and When I finally pick her up her chin gets so black, my sister In law told me that she’s trying to dominate us and we should let her get away with her behavior , but .... honestly me and my husband freak out everytime she spazams on us were too afraid of getting bit. Does anyone have any tips on how to get over our fear and how to handle her ?

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Honestly after only a week he should not be held that much. Usually you let an animal settle in for minimum a week before trying to handle him. Give him sometime, he'll come around.

CheyenneD

If it's only been a week you'll be fine. Once he is comfortable with his new home he'll relax. The more anxious and scared you are the longer it'll take her though. Just breathe :)

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, you guys need to calm down, and she'll calm down..They go through a typical "Relocation Stress" period where they are timid, shy, and sometimes don't eat much, and that can last up to 2 weeks. The key though is not avoiding her or not handling her, I've owner many Beardies, most all babies that were a month old when I got them, and I never once waited to hold them or interact with them...That being said, if you act nervous and scared, so will she.

The best thing you can do to bond with her is wait to get her out of the tank until nighttime, before bed, when it's already dark out. If you lay on the couch/bed and watch TV, read, etc. before bed, this is the time you get her out (leave her tank lights on while you have her out so her tank will be warm when you bring her back and put her to bed). Get a blanket and cover yourself up with it, place her right on you chest and put the blanket over her too. When it's already dark out and it's the end of the day they are tired and want to rest, and this is when they give in and will cuddle. Most of them just lay down and close their eyes as soon as you pull the blanket over them, and they keep warm from your body heat. Then gently rub/pet his head, back, ears, etc. while you lay there. She'll lay there and sleep with you for as long as you let her. If you do this every night for an hour she'll bond with you very quickly and learn to trust you, and you'll have no problem handling her at all..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom