Relocation stress

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a nice upgrade, Temps are OK. Does he have a place to hide? He may just be upset from the move and shed at the same time so it may just be coincidence. Feeding while he is acting mean is often a useful way of getting them to stop but if not then I'd take the hint and give him some space for a bit, going to his tank for feedings and cleanings only for a bit and see if he calms down.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I'd try to read his body language. If he seems really irritated by you being near his tank then I'd stay away for a bit and see if he calms down. Try watching from a distance to see how he is acting if you are away from the tank to see if he is being irritated by you or is upset in general. Since he is young I would continue to offer food but not be too forceful with it at this point. Maybe put a bowl of worms and salad and back off a bit and see what he does.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
What kind of bulb are you using? Sometimes the glass (especially on the halogen flood lights) can cause small hotspots like that. As long as they aren't super hot and there aren't many of them it shouldn't be a huge deal but it might be worth trying some different kinds of bulbs to see if you can get a more even spread of heat.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Ah OK. Those bulbs tend to be pretty consistent using a thin clear glass so I'm a bit surprised by that. You might try a different bulb, same model and see if you get the same thing. A flood light would probably fit that fixture as long as it is within the rated wattage.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
The darkening is probably a response to being introduced into heat/light and he just reacts to it by darkening to absorb it. Since he's calm when you take him out I don't think it's a problem.

It will be really good to have those T5 bulbs on hand. They are very nice.

I'm glad he likes the roaches. They are pretty easy to care for. Just toss them some fresh veg scraps and they're content. It can take a few months for a colony to get established but once they get going they will take over the enclosure you have them in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom