Digging & Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicanese

So my Beardie, Gaara, is about 2 years old. She has never laid any eggs since Ive rescued her. This week, I noticed she started digging on by bathroom rug & on tile floor... I looked it up on the internet & some say that it is normal behavior & that she is digging as she would in her natural environment. In her cage I have the Eco Rug since I personally do not like sand due to possible impaction. She kept doing that every day & she would love to get into the shower more than usual (I put her "tub"- a small storage container- in the shower & let the water hit her- she really loves that... I'm not sure if it is okay for the water to be hitting her directly... she loves having it hit her back, but as a first time Beardie parent, I'm not quite so sure how this will affect her...). Her diet consists of kale, celery leaves some occasional strawberries, carrots, celery stalk (basically w/e I can get at the grocery store that can be fed to her). As protein I get the canned crickets sprinkled with calcium powder as well as moist dragon diet which is an all-in-one diet. This morning when I woke up, I noticed that there were orange colored balls that I didnt put in her dish- there were a total of 5 yellow eggs. I had popped a little so some of the fluid was already leaking, the other 4 were yellow & had a white spot on them. Im not sure how much eggs a dragon should have on her first egg passing but Gaara seems ok. She is not "bloated" & she's chilling on the basking rock. What should I do now that she passed the eggs? Should I supplement the calcium powder more since she let them go with the eggs? Should I take her to a vet to see if there are anymore eggs inside?

full

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Provide a dig box for her consisting of a mix of substrates. Up her calcium. Females can say several clutches of infertile eggs, the number depends on the dragon though. Try to give vegetables such as collard, turnip, dandelion, or mustard greens. Kale and carrots are just fine(I use carrots a bunch since I always have them on hand, I use kale every couple weeks) but there are nutritionally superior options such as ones listed above. Another thing you can give are squashes like spaghetti or butternut. Live protein is better so live feeder crickets, dubia roaches, silkworms, phoenix/reptiworms are all great options.

Nicanese

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":8qzkr8pa said:
Provide a dig box for her consisting of a mix of substrates. Up her calcium. Females can say several clutches of infertile eggs, the number depends on the dragon though. Try to give vegetables such as collard, turnip, dandelion, or mustard greens. Kale and carrots are just fine(I use carrots a bunch since I always have them on hand, I use kale every couple weeks) but there are nutritionally superior options such as ones listed above. Another thing you can give are squashes like spaghetti or butternut. Live protein is better so live feeder crickets, dubia roaches, silkworms, phoenix/reptiworms are all great options.

Does the dig box need to be in the cage for a limited amount of time or can I leave it there for enrichment?

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Nicanese":1axhwqzn said:
KeyBlu422":1axhwqzn said:

Does the dig box need to be in the cage for a limited amount of time or can I leave it there for enrichment?

I'm not sure, I own a male but have read the forums long enough to know some things... However, while I may be wrong(which I'm sure someone like kingofnobby will correct me if I am), I'd think that I'd be good to leave it in since you can't monitor your female every second of the day. Plus, if they don't have a place lay their eggs, they may hold them(egg binding) which could be fatal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom