Taming an almost adult beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

So, Saturday I purchased a 7 month old beardie from an online ad. We brought him home and it was obvious that he had not been handled much, trying to bite me when I went to pick him up, hissing, puffing up, black-bearding. It might’ve a bit early and this could be due to relocation stress, but any tips on how to make him a bit more social or tame? Thanks in advance. (By the way his temps and set up are all correct now, they were off at first but I fixed it)

Also, (don’t know if this is relevant or not) but I think the previous owners got bored of him and didn’t take care of him too well, his cage hadn’t been cleaned in a while and everything was dirty.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

Welcome to the wonderful world of dragons! :D

The way to tame dragons may take time. There's some ways on how to tame a beardie. Such as Hand feeding, Holding sessions, You can use some gardening or leather gloves if your worried about getting bit. Baby steps first, First just let your beardie get used to your hand. Start off by just putting your hand in his cage so he will get used to it and eventually get curious and climb onto your hand. Eventually he will let you hold him. It Just takes time. :)

Good luck on getting him tame. Also could you post some pics of him and his setup?

-HippieLizards

Demok83

I am having almost the same problem. My beardie isn't trying to bite, however. He doesn't want to be held under any circumstances. He will let me love and pet him, just not hold him. Good luck with your beardie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom