Newly bought 2ish month spending more time in hide

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

So I got my lil dude 3 days ago, aobut 2 months and a week or two, and the first two days he was active and basking all the time and moving around his viv, but today hes been hiding in his hide since 1pm (almost 6pm) and lights go out at 9. Maybe just relocation stress and he needs his sleep?
Or maybe my lighting is getting in his way?
I have a Zilla desert T8 24" uvb fixture with REPTISUN 10.0 uvb bulb, mounted 8 inches from the basking spot.
Zoo Med Repti Basking Spot Lamp 100w
temps:
basking 105-110
hot end 90-100
cool end 80-90

93594-4619758725.jpg

ChunksMomma23

Hello!

I’m no expert, I’ve recently gotten my girl a couple months ago at about the same age that yours is now. But I did months of research (spent lots of time on this website LOL).
It sounds to me like your “cool” side of the tank maybe still be a little warm (it’s not too high, it won’t harm your little dude as long as he has little “homes” or shady areas to cool off in. I think he may just be a little warm and may be cooling off.
Did he have tank mates where you bought him? He may also just be super confused and in shock right now. As long as he is eating some-what regularly (it took me a couple days to get my baby beardie to eat anything but s couple mealworms from me, she was probably seeing if she could trust me or not ?) I think he will be fine! Just be patient, understanding, give him time to adjust, but still spending lots of time with him, and I think you will have a happy loving beardie in no time!
Like I said I’ve only had mine for a month or two, and she’s still a little shy and not sure of me, but we’re getting there :)

Good luck!! I hope I helped.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
As the t8 isn't super strong, it will need to be mounted under the screen, which filters out a significant amount of the UV. If you have only had a few days, chances are he is a bit stressed out and just needs some time to settle in. If after a long period of time he seems to be lethargic, it might be time for a check up.

Also, how are you checking temps?

To the poster above: you mentioned feeding mealworms - i don't know if this was a one time thing or a common feeder you use, but I would definitely recommend ceasing to feed any mealworms. They are hard to digest and have very little nutrition.

ChunksMomma23

JessPets":27yc8j7i said:
As the t8 isn't super strong, it will need to be mounted under the screen, which filters out a significant amount of the UV. If you have only had a few days, chances are he is a bit stressed out and just needs some time to settle in. If after a long period of time he seems to be lethargic, it might be time for a check up.

Also, how are you checking temps?

To the poster above: you mentioned feeding mealworms - i don't know if this was a one time thing or a common feeder you use, but I would definitely recommend ceasing to feed any mealworms. They are hard to digest and have very little nutrition.

It was definitely a one time thing! I think due to the stress of getting used to me and her new home, it was the only thing I could get her to eat (I tried everything I could, and that’s the only thing she chose to eat for a couple days). But now she’s a very healthy and happy beardie loving her crickets. The way she slinks down and goes into predator mode when we drop me crickets in her viv is the cutest thing ever ?. Also I’m extremely impressed by how well she is at eating her greens and veggies now to! At first I thought I was going to have a difficult time with her, but I’m one happy bd momma :) I want to post a picture to boast about how cute she is but I can’t figure out how!

P.s yes- I hated the fact that she was eating meal worms period, but I figured better that then nothing :/ I threw them away as soon as she started eating her crickets regularly! Thank you though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom