How to tame a scared 3-4month adopted beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Hello,

I was given for free (I couldnt help not getting it), a 3-4 month beardie, pretty leather back. you can see my previous posts i have the right lighting and gear, but today was the second day, and he is still very afraid of me. never aggresive, beard, or hiss, just very timid. Not really afraid of my hand per se, more like afraid of being picked up. I cant hand feed him yet, he shows no interest, but he eats his dusted crickets fine. I dont interact with him often, i took him out once during the day, but he immediately tries to run out my hand and into the floor and to hide. When in his viv, I offer him a wax worm, he wont eat it off my hands, but will eat it if i drop it near him, but i have to be slow or else he freaks out and starts glass dancing like crazy and all around. What are the right steps on taming him and making him comfortable with me?
I know its most likely relocation stress, and it might take days, weeks, but i want to know any other steps that might help make him more comfortable. He doesnt seem to like the log to climb, he either basks or hides behind the basking rock.
Thank you!
93594-4619758725.jpg
yes, those are socks, i heard it helps make him more comfortable to my scent? xD

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Hi there. There was a similar query the other night so I’m reposting this response (and hopefully it’s helpful):

It’s not uncommon to find posts on these forums with titles like “baby bearded dragon hates me” or “struggling to handle my crazy baby beardie.” But rest assured that the hyperactive and skittish nature of many baby beardies is just a phase. I’ve raised four dragons from babies, and all of them started out as little Tasmanian devils. It takes time for these little guys to calm down and learn that the monster lurking outside their cage is their new best friend. You can take things slow by getting the little guy comfortable with the concept of your hand. Before jumping straight into picking him up, slowly place your hand in the cage and leave it there, completely still, for a while. He may get curious and approach or he may eye it warily from afar, but the point is to get him comfortable with your hand in the cage. Handfeeding is a great way to develop trust with a skittish baby and can be great for bonding. Sure, it’s cheap bribery but it works wonderfully. With my last baby, after a couple days of my hand bringing her treats (BSFL, her favorite) she decided she’d take our relationship to the next level by hopping into my hand. I began holding her inside her cage for brief periods so that she always felt in control and safe in her surroundings. After that it was easy to transition to casual handling/letting her explore my room. When you do go to pick your beardie up move slowly, being sure he always sees you approaching. Talk to him frequently so he develops a positive association between your voice/hand/presence. My beardies respond positively to their names and specific words. I talk to them frequently, and although they all have very individual personalities, they all perk up and become very attentive when spoken to. If the protocol above still doesn’t lead to a breakthrough, here’s another trick: Take your beardie out when he’s very sleepy (30 minutes after lights off is good because he’ll be sleep groggy and therefore much more docile). Place him on your chest or lap and just sit with him, occasionally talking to him gently. Even though he’ll be in a sleepy haze, he’ll start to associate interactions with you as positive and unthreatening. Eventually you’ll be able to take him out during the day when he’s at full alertness because he’s learned that he doesn’t have to be on guard with you. My current oldest beardie had gone the first four months of her life with virtually no human interaction. No one wanted her because she exhibited behavior that could be downright scary. She was terrified of people and initially would hiss and snap during any attempt at interaction. But over the course of several weeks, using the protocol just described, she transitioned from a miniature wolverine to a friendly, affectionate lizard that now hops into my hand when I open her cage and will come running across a room when I call her name. I’ve found that the feistiest baby beardies often have the best personalities as adults because although they become sweet and easygoing they still retain a little bit of spunk. What you’re experiencing is perfectly normal and I know it can be a slow and discouraging process, but over time your baby will grow to trust you and look forward to your interactions. Hang in there!

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you so much for all the advise! :) I wish i could hand feed him tho. im sure in time. I just feel so bad for him haha i mean no harm and he think im going to kill him or something!

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
That’s perfectly normal. ☺️ While some babies are naturally very docile many are skittish and even aggressive (which is understandable, as trusting a large foreign creature in the wild is how you wind up dinner). We’re essentially teaching a tiny prey animal to trust a perceived predator, so the process can take time. But once you cross that threshold it’s a great feeling. No matter how feisty any of my youngsters were, in 18 years of owning beardies I’ve never had an adult hiss, snap at me, or attempt to bite me. I currently have several beardies that were very skittish and hyper babies (one to such a crazy degree that we named her Tweak) and now they’re all very sweet and personable adults. A vet technician actually attempted to buy the adult Tweak from me because she’d “never seen such a beardie that sweet before.” And that was the baby beardie the breeder couldn’t sell because she was so terrifyingly aggressive! So I know it can be frustrating when you see other people with baby beardies that seem like they were born to love humans, but I stand firm in my declaration that the feisty troublemakers turn out to be the most endearing adults. So much so that occasionally someone will offer to buy them from you. ☺️

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
mines not really troublesum or aggressive, he's just really scared and panics when im close let alone my hand in the enclosure

dezismom

Juvie Member
His behavior is perfectly normal, for only being with you two days. Beardies hate change!! It may be a few weeks before the fear is better. Also, at his age, most Beardies are not interested in being held or snuggling...they are just eating machines! At around 6 months, they start to tame down and like people. Meanwhile, the advice already given is very good advice. I would wait until Beardie is sound asleep, and pick him up. wrap him in a soft materiel and hold him on your chest. When he starts to wake up and wants off, put him back...As he becomes accustomd to your scent, voice, etc, he will be more tame.

Do you always pick him up with both hands, one over his chest area and the other on his pelvic area, to give maximim support? This makes him more comfortable and gives you control without fear of him hurting himself. Always hold him over your lap, a counter or soft furniture, so if he does fall, he wont be injured. is the vivarium near where he can see you throughout the day? That helps alot. I brought my little one into the kitchen where I am most of the day, and he could see me all the time.He was very skittish, but now he is a big, hug loving, kissy snuggler! This did not happen right away, but over months of being near each other. (He is three years old, now) So, no matter what you do, time will be needed. Not days, but weeks. It is worth every minute! They are capable of wonderful deep love and affection, and you will have a best friend that is forever. I have had many kinds of pets, but my big beardie, DeziLu is my love. Yours will be that way for you, too!! Just be patient and persistent...
Here is Dezi, demonstrating how he rests on my chest near my neck...how you can hold your sleeping dragon.
Dezi says....keep trying! Trust comes slowly!
82765-2519755811.jpg

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
Dezismom is right—the way you pick them up, especially when they’re skittish babies, can make a big difference. Reaching in and grabbing from above can be startling, so if you can it’s best to approach slowly from the side, so they can see your intention. Think scoop vs. grab. And when holding them supporting their tail can make a huge difference in how relaxed they are. Just as you always want to support their legs, supporting their tail is just as important. Treat the tail as a fifth leg and make sure you also have a hand or arm beneath the tail. A beardie that doesn’t feel stable or secure will flail their tail (and thus their body), and that loss of equilibrium can make them wary of being handled. The funny thing is that many of my adults will just bellyflop into my hand or onto my arm like I’m a personal Lazy Boy recliner with the power of transportation. Baby beardie taming can be a bit of a process but as the other poster mentioned, all of our skittish little babies eventually became easygoing adults, so hang in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom