bearded dragon taming techniquies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepper60

I am a new beardie owner and anytime I take my beardie out of her tank and put her on my bed she will just sit there looking around, and won't really explore my room. She doesn't look scared or shows signs of stress. She will eat from my hand outside of her tank. :D When I try to pick her up and hold her she walks away. How can I have her be more relaxed and calm around me?

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
1. Does she squirm when you pick her up?

2. Is the terrarium that she's in a fish tank with a lid or a terrarium with doors?

My beardy is sometimes the same way. because I have to pick him from up above, he will initially squirm but then just stay on me. In the wild, being picked up from behind where they're completely exposed usually means a predator and that's why she may squirm if you have to pick her up from the top.

pepper60

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":fh4br07r said:
1. Does she squirm when you pick her up?

2. Is the terrarium that she's in a fish tank with a lid or a terrarium with doors?

My beardy is sometimes the same way. because I have to pick him from up above, he will initially squirm but then just stay on me. In the wild, being picked up from behind where they're completely exposed usually means a predator and that's why she may squirm if you have to pick her up from the top.

She doesn't squirm when I pick her up, but yes I do have a terrarium that opens from the top and it doesn't have doors. Thanks for the info :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
pepper60":3mq05s90 said:
I am a new beardie owner and anytime I take my beardie out of her tank and put her on my bed she will just sit there looking around, and won't really explore my room. She doesn't look scared or shows signs of stress. She will eat from my hand outside of her tank. :D When I try to pick her up and hold her she walks away. How can I have her be more relaxed and calm around me?

Sounds to me like she's pretty comfortable with you .... build it up a little at a time and always give her a treat when you want to get her out, this way she'll associate the experience with something she likes/ enjoys ...

If she backs off, leave her be .

I found it's less stressful for skittish/small skink and dragons to have a stick handy, if the lizard retreats to the back of the tank, don't chase it and grab it, this will only freak the lizard out and reinforce it's fear of you .... slowly move the end of stick so it's under it's chest and arms and hands and the lizard will instinctively hang on , you can then lift the lizard and slowly draw it to where you can slip your hands over and under it , very good support is key.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":8m43r9gh said:
pepper60":8m43r9gh said:

Sounds to me like she's pretty comfortable with you .... build it up a little at a time and always give her a treat when you want to get her out, this way she'll associate the experience with something she likes/ enjoys ...

If she backs off, leave her be .

I found it's less stressful for skittish/small skink and dragons to have a stick handy, if the lizard retreats to the back of the tank, don't chase it and grab it, this will only freak the lizard out and reinforce it's fear of you .... slowly move the end of stick so it's under it's chest and arms and hands and the lizard will instinctively hang on , you can then lift the lizard and slowly draw it to where you can slip your hands over and under it , very good support is key.

Wow, that's pretty creative. I sure wouldn't have thought of that, nice one nobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom