Attacking people

Status
Not open for further replies.

jess12313

Hi everyone,I have two bearded dragons called bruce and blue one male and one female.Last Tuesday we brought blue home originally we wanted them to get along so they could be out at the same time but unfortunately bruce the male bearded dragon did not like her and attacked her.After that we can obviously see that its best for both of them to separate all of the time even when we have them out so now we only have one out at a time.My problem is that weve had bruce the male for around 4-5 months when we got him he was in a bad condition he had a broken back and he had been burned over his back and sides,he was very loving towards everyone especially me but since weve got blue he has become increasingly aggressive to my boyfriend.As i said before we got blue he loved my boyfriend and showed no signs of aggression but now whenever he sees my boyfriend his beard goes black he starts head bobbing and slapping his foot down onn the floor he even tried to bite him. :( with me bruce is normal he still lays down with me and happily falls asleep on me and cuddles into my neck i dont understand why hes started showing so much aggression towards my partner any advice or explanation will be greatly appreciated

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bad idea .... The pair need to be kept separated
And not allowed out together for the following reasons :
>>> The male is the dominant and regards the room as his territory and will try to drive any other beardies away , can escalate very fast and become a very violent attack resulting in bitten off feet hands, arms legs , tails and even a dead dragon - they are perfectly capable of killing another dragon.
>>> she will be extremely highly stressed if she's out and it's not breeding season when he's out
>>> in breeding season the male will continually want to mate with her and this is not going to be good for her as they can do a lot damage the neck of female when mating.

Best to only let one dragon out at a time, this way there is no risk of either being hurt and she'll be lots less stressed.
I've never let my dragons out at the same time as other dragons , the can see each other when one is out but can not physically access the other dragon , I get to see the courting behavior and how the female teases the boy and other body language (which is very entertaining to watch).

Boyfriend issues :

Male is hormonal , it's moving close to the Northern Hemisphere breeding season .

Also does the boyfriend have a dark coloured beard ? male beardies are known to see a man with a dark beard and regard him as blackbearding the male dragon who responds appropriately with vigorous headnods , and if that doesn't work .... threats and even not being very well behaved when the man is handling them.
If the he has a beard - try covering it with something , this has been know to work.

Also if he's handled the female first , the male will smell her scent on his cloths and hands , so handle the male first and always come bearing a few food treats, every time the mouth opens to threaten or bite , pop a food treat in the mouth from the side , the dragon soon become too full to eat more and will clamp the mouth shut .

jess12313

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1kvs91bc said:
Bad idea .... The pair need to be kept separated
And not allowed out together for the following reasons :
>>> The male is the dominant and regards the room as his territory and will try to drive any other beardies away , can escalate very fast and become a very violent attack resulting in bitten off feet hands, arms legs , tails and even a dead dragon - they are perfectly capable of killing another dragon.
>>> she will be extremely highly stressed if she's out and it's not breeding season when he's out
>>> in breeding season the male will continually want to mate with her and this is not going to be good for her as they can do a lot damage the neck of female when mating.

Best to only let one dragon out at a time, this way there is no risk of either being hurt and she'll be lots less stressed.
I've never let my dragons out at the same time as other dragons , the can see each other when one is out but can not physically access the other dragon , I get to see the courting behavior and how the female teases the boy and other body language (which is very entertaining to watch).

Boyfriend issues :

Male is hormonal , it's moving close to the Northern Hemisphere breeding season .

Also does the boyfriend have a dark coloured beard ? male beardies are known to see a man with a dark beard and regard him as blackbearding the male dragon who responds appropriately with vigorous headnods , and if that doesn't work .... threats and even not being very well behaved when the man is handling them.
If the he has a beard - try covering it with something , this has been know to work.

Also if he's handled the female first , the male will smell her scent on his cloths and hands , so handle the male first and always come bearing a few food treats, every time the mouth opens to threaten or bite , pop a food treat in the mouth from the side , the dragon soon become too full to eat more and will clamp the mouth shut .

Thank you for the reply.The two bearded dragons have been kept separate since he attacked her they haven’t had any contact they can see eachother when ones out and the others in it’s own viv even when Bruce is in the viv if blue is out he head butts the glass and tries to attack her through the glass he gets really violent.

My boyfriend doesn’t have a beard or have any facial hair that would replicate a black beard,bruce is very mean to him and gets really angry at him if my boyfriend touches me like the other day my partner touched my leg and Bruce ran at him and tried to attack him and then sat on my leg where my boyfriends hand was.I don’t know if bearded dragons can be protective over humans but Bruce hates him being near me thank you again

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Bruce loves you and is very possessive of you .... you boyfriend needs to spend more time doing stuff for Bruce and you need to let him.

I still think this is largely hormonal and a breeding season thing and will eventually pass, it might take a few months , but eventually Bruce will be OK with your boyfriend and he'll settle down and resign himself to the presence of the new beardie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom