Just woke from brumation *Agressive and Hyper*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tammy94

My beardie Douglas who is appx 2 years 6 months old has always been very friendly, enjoyed cuddles occasionally and has only once ever shown aggression and this was my fault (I approached him and tried to grab him from behind and startled him).

I have never been worried or concerned that he may bite me..

He went into brumation around the start of November last year, it wasn't full blown sleeping constantly, he'd occasionally wake and have some food and water but just slept loads on and off for 2 months and was very tired.

He snapped out of it around a week ago, and his temperament seems to have completely changed, mainly when outside of his viv.

He is incredibly hyperactive, wants to be out all day.. When he comes out he runs around a little and then finds a quiet dark place somewhere to sleep. The problem is when you go to put him back... He puffs his body out, has actually tried to bite a few times and whips his tail.. I have to pick him up with blankets quite often to avoid being bitten... Once picked up he is fine and when i place him back in his viv there is no fear of him biting me, he will let me stroke him etc..He only behaves like this when hes out.

I feel as though I am partly to blame here as in the recent months before his brumation i didn't handle him as much, he seemed to have grown out of enjoying cuddles and much preferred to just do his own thing.

The added issue is of course the fact that he constantly wants to be out, if i don't let him out he makes a hell of a racket glass surfing and i worry that he could injure himself as he propells from one end of the tank to the other, bumping into things. In case anyone is curious it's definitely nothing to do with his tank conditions, i've checked it all over.

Any advice on what could have happened, if he will snap out of it? And if there's anything I can do to change him back to the beardie who actually enjoyed human contact!

Thank you

Edit: there is no black bearding going on at all

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are known to be a bit hyper when they come out of brumation. My dragon loses his mind when he has to go back in his tank (he just came out of brumation too) and is running all over the place. I'm not sure there is much to do except wait them out. Give him time outside the tank to run around and burn off energy. Make plenty of food available to him. I've found that my guy calms down a bit when he has time in the window to watch outside. That doesn't last too long after he's done though. From what I've read, this should taper off after a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom