Handling baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexisC

Hi,

I'm a new owner and got my first bearded dragon one month ago. I'm not entirely sure of his age as the pet store could not tell me, but he is young.. When I first brought him home he was fairly friendly, would eat out of my hand and enjoyed interaction. He recently shed, and now I can barely get near him. He'll run away, bite, won't eat from my hand, and will begin to glass dance which I've read is a sign of stress. I don't want to stress him out too much but I also know I should be handling him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
For starters , don't chase him about with your hands (all he'll see are two 5 headed snake creatures chasing him .... will scare the heck out of him and will only reinforce his fear of you.

Keep the handling to the absolute minimum for now and let him have the space he seems to want for now , and if you need to handle him come baring gifts ( a yummy food treat like a small silkworm or a cricket or roach or nice wriggly black soldier fly lavae and he'll soon come around and able right up to take his bribe , you can probably coax him onto your hand and then place the other hand cupped over his body so he feels supported and secure and then place him on your lap or tummy or chest.

Time and patience and food treats are the keys to earning a skittish lizards trust and getting it comfortable with being handled and picked up by you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom