Worried about my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Sometimes, they puff their beards during a big shed in the face, to help loosen the dead skin. When in a shed, they act a bit grumpy, and less social. I suspect it is kinda like having a sunburn, and the flu at the same time! when Dezi has a big shed, it helps him to give him a warm bath. The soak will loosen up the skin and help make it come off easier. He seems to feel a bit better after the bath.

For the first year or so, Beardies shed constantly, due to their tremendous growth rate. That usually slows down at around a year old, but every one is different. Bigger lizards, like my Dezi, can keep,actively growing for longer--Dez stayed in fast growth for almost three years! That is when they need feeding more often, two or three times a day, and more live protien. Once their growth slows, they start to concentrate more on the veggies and salad.

Does your girl (name?) show any other signs of illness, or distress? They also can have reduced appetites during a shed, and her rubbing herself is almost certainly due to the shed. I suspect that being moved, which causes stress, and shedding combined is causing her discomfort right now. try a warm bath, offer her food, and give her lots of comfort. Dezi likes to be very gently stroked (not on the shedding parts) and enjoys a gentle brushing with a very soft brush. He prefers my best make up brush! It is made of soft real hair bristles, and I gently and slowly run it over him, which he loves. Maybe that would be a way to give your girl comfort and also bond with her?

Also, they can become a bit dehydrated during a shed,so be sure she is drinking enough...use a small syringe, or dropper, and drip the water over her lips. If she wants more, she will stick out her tongue and drink...it is very cute--at first, she may not respond, so give her some time, and be patient, offer the water several times. When she has had enough, she will back away, or turn her head away to signal she is done. Dehydration will also make them less hungry. They do not drink well from a dish. There are few ponds in their natural desert environment. Much of their hydration comes from their food, or from the morning mist that they lick off their lips and plants. I do not recommend misting, as it can cause too much humidity in the vivarium.

She is probably just getting accustomed to her new home, but keep an eye on her for any sign of distress. If she has a continuous black beard, or stops eating entirely, or acts very odd, I would not hesitate to take her to a good, lizard experienced vet, but at this time I think that would only cause her more stress and worry. Provide plenty of food,water warmth,soft voice,,and quiet environment is what she need most right now. And lots of affection, hugs and patience! She just needs time--weeks, not days--to adjust to the changes. I sure do wish I could see a photo of her, so I could see how she looks. Body posture, color, etc. can tell you alot about their condition.
here is Dezi demonstrating how to brush your dragon! He was a very willing model!
82765-7339207344.jpg

and, just for giggles, his "Dezi Trump" impression! he is so talented...
82765-4297825927.jpg

Staceythorn

Original Poster
Hey everyone I’m backs with another problem haha! My beardie swallowed a stone today. More like a pebble it was part of an ornament in the house. Will he be okay? He swapped no it easily so I’m hoping he’ll pass it? No bigger than a cricket he’d eat either but he went quiet afterwards from being really hyper but I think that could be because I fought him to not swallow the stone? (Tried to take it out of his mouth). Any reassurance would be great and I’ll obviously take him to the vet if needed but that’s very expensive and I’m young if you understand. Thanks guys? just some pics of around the size of the stone and him sleeping just now.
92065-9758364614.jpg
92065-6452452522.jpg

dezismom

Juvie Member
wow! That is a big stone, for a little guy to pass! He does get himself into trouble, doesn'r he?

If you cannot take him to a vet, then you must wait and see...My Dezi once passed a huge hard chunk of calcium about that size. (I have since cut back on his calcium powder supplement!) He did strain a bit. I gave him a warm bath, and that helped him to finally pass it. There are threads on this site, that have a special diet to help a beardie when he is impacted; perhaps it would help? Meanwhile, watch him carefully for any sign of distress..I would have the phone number and address of a good reptile vet handy in case...it will not cost to call one and seek out their opinion...

Staceythorn

Original Poster
Hi thanks for replying. The stone might not of been that big maybe a tad smaller.

He’s a trouble maker honestly! Haha. What does straining mean? As in how will I know if that’s happening? I have apple sauce and vegetable oil I read on threads on this that they help passing stuff so I’ll add them to his food tomorrow if he eats (hasn’t eaten in ages). I think that’s just brumation though as he sleeps for days and wakes up for days etc. I have a vets number which is great.

I’m only noticing your picture of Dezzie now! He’s so cute and a fab model haha?

dezismom

Juvie Member
Thanks! I think Dezi is cute, too, but I may be somewhat biased! ?

When a beardie is constipated, or having difficulty passing a big bowel movement, they tend to strain...they do all the behavior of a normal BM, like raising the tail, pushing it out, but nothing happens. When Dezi is feeling the need to poo, he does little push ups with his back legs, and lifts his tail. I have just enough time to get him into his vivarium, before he lets loose with his atomic poo bomb! But if he is constipated, nothing happens, and he continues to strain (push) to produce something. If I think he is constipated, (not that this is a regular occurance) I have found that a nice warm bath helped him. He passed a big calcium deposit once, when I was adding too much calcium powder to his food. I had him in the warm bath, and very very gently ran my fingers down his belly and over his vent, no pressure at all, just to stimulate his bowels. It is most important to not press on his belly, which can even cause a rupture in their bowels, if they have a big blockage, and that is fatal. But a gentle stroke over belly and vent helps to stimulate them.

Your beardie needs to eat, in order to help pass that little stone...so offer him what ever tempts him, and make sure he is drinking plenty of water...that is very important.

Yes, this is the time of year that can cause Beardies to brumate. In the wild, they need to brumate, to save energy when the season is cold, and live food is scarce. In captivity, with unlimited food source, it is not a necessity. I keep Dezi from full brumation by turning up his heat a bit, giving him extra hours of UVB lights, and taking him out throughout the day to play with him. After a few weeks, he stops his brumation behavior and goes back to his normal, piggy appetite, attention demanding self. Yay! I have nothing against brumation, and others feel it is important to let their Beadies brumate,which is okay, if the dragon is in good health, but it is not strictly needed for them to be happy, healthy boys, and I selfishly prefer to have an active dragon. Dezi and I interact every day, he is my constant companion, and I Like it that way!! I think he does, too. :)

Please let me know when your beardie passes his stone. I will worry about him until then.

Dezi says, poop! it's a good thing!
82765-779776052.jpg

Staceythorn

Original Poster
Your so kind to give all this advice! Thanks so much. I’ll keep an eye on him when it looks like he’s trying to poop so! See he went to bed yesterday evening and hasn’t got up today and I’m not worried this is because of the stone as he does this at least once a week so while he’s sleeping I can’t feed him/give him water. Hopefully he’ll be up tomorrow if not should I make him get up in order tickets eat or leave him be?(bearing in mind he sleeps a lot recently). I understand your wanting to be around Dezi rather than let him sleep all the time but Sam is a cranky boy when he wants to be haha. I think I’ll ring a vet regardless on Monday. Enjoy your day with Dezi! Thanks again

Staceythorn

Original Poster
Can I ask as well, Sam hasn’t eaten in about 3 weeks while he has been sleeping. Is this normal/okay? I think and hope I’m right thinking it’s part of brumation? Sorry I just worry a lot haha

dezismom

Juvie Member
Yes, if Sam is trying to brumate, he would not have an appetite...Keep offering every day, try his favorite foods. DeziLu is now also trying to brumate, and refusing food. He does sometimes respond to waxworms, or blueberries. Be sure Sam is getting plenty of water! I take Dezi out and give him lots of attention, to wake him up a bit, before offering food. And a warm bath seems to help as well. Dezi wants to find the coolest, darkest place to sleep in, but I wont let him. I turned on the heating pad under his viv, so the sand is warm. That keeps his body temp up, and keeps his metabolism more normal. In another couple weeks, he will start to snap out of it.

I like to keep Dezi at a weight that is on the hefty side, so he has plenty of extra--that way, when he brumates, or if he should get sick for some reason, he has some that he can afford to lose. (This is my personal practice, not necessarily what everyone does. I did not read in any book to do it, but over the many years of working in wildlife rehab and rescue, I know how quickly these small creatures can lose weight, how that can affect their health.) Sam does not look underweight in the photo. The best weight indicator is to look at the tail, near the body. That is one of the places they store fat. It should be nice and round. Another place for fat storage is the fat pads behind the eye area, on the head. That area should have a little fat on it, not caved in or tight looking. I will try to find a photo that clearly shows Dezis fat pads...also, the legs should not be super skinny, with some meat on them. That develops with age; Babies tend to have skinnier legs.

Dezi showing his fat pads on his head--one on each side, behind the eye area...his pads are quite noticable, ha, ha! But we dont use the "f--" word, we call him big boned?
82765-8358696368.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
If he is in burmation he will not be basking, thus not digesting his food. Meaning if you offer food it's possible it could rot in his stomach, causing impaction and killing him.

Sometimes beardies that burmate will still have an appetite, Saturn (my male) would often take food if offered or go and get veggies if I put some in there, though it was rare for him to come out at all.

Staceythorn

Original Poster
hmm that sounds like a good tactic for Dezi! And Sam isn’t a big water drinker he never has been the best I can do for him is dripping water on his lips/nose and spraying his salad with water too but he’s not eating now so it’s difficult. Sam I think was the runt of his family. He’s a year okd(from when the pet shop told me he was born) and is a small guy and hasn’t shed in months either. But he’s 90% of the time happy, full of life and eats plenty (when’s he’s not brumation). Thanks for all our help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom