Baby bearded dragon not eating much

Status
Not open for further replies.
I collected a baby bearded dragon 16.5cm head to emd of tail from the pet shop last Saturday 13th Jan. He seems to only eat 2 wax worms and about 1/2 tsp of fine grated carrot/ butternut squash/sweet potato mix per day. He's scared of baby locusts and runs away even from one. I have ordered xs Dubai roach, due to arrive tomorrow. I really would like to know how much he should be eating please. He's bright eyed and active.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Bearded dragons that young should be practically eating you out of house and home. Because they're growing very quickly at this time of life, they need a lot of food to fuel that growth. At 13 cm he's probably less than 2 months old, so he needs to be fed 2x/day with calcium dusted insects. Vegetables are good, but not a priority at this point. From what you've outlined he definitely isn't eating enough. This can be due to relocation stress, or there could be something else going on. What are your temperatures (basking, warm side, cool side)? Also, what type of UVB are you using?

I'm glad to see that you ordered some dubia roaches — dubia roaches are much better feeders for reptiles since they have less fat and more protein (source: Feeder Insect Nutrition Facts for Reptile Keepers). I would also recommend reading this: Feeder Insects for Bearded Dragons.

Bear333

Glowstickchick":gqnkefws said:
I collected a baby bearded dragon 16.5cm head to emd of tail from the pet shop last Saturday 13th Jan. He seems to only eat 2 wax worms and about 1/2 tsp of fine grated carrot/ butternut squash/sweet potato mix per day. He's scared of baby locusts and runs away even from one. I have ordered xs Dubai roach, due to arrive tomorrow. I really would like to know how much he should be eating please. He's bright eyed and active.

Hi there!

Congratulations on your new beardie! 2 times a day is good, but 3 is much better for a baby. I would recommend feeding him as much as he wants within 10-15 minutes per feeding. I would say he’d eat anywhere between 20-40 depending on what insect, how big they are (they should be no bigger than the space between his eyes, which I can see you’ve aleady ordered xs dubias:D), and just his personality. He should have quite the appetite once he’s come accustomed to his new home and routine, which is key in keeping baby beardies! Good luck:)

P.S. As said above, veggies aren’t priority, but keep offering them every day so he knows they’re an option, and I would offer leafy greens such as collard, mustard, and dandelion.

Glowstickchick

Original Poster
Thankyou for your replies, much appreciated. Hes eaten 4 dusted wax worms today :) though still not enough I'm sure. I'm using a 10% uv fluorescent strip bulb and infrared heat bulb 75w for a 3ft ×15" x15" wooden viv. Cool end 28°c hot end 35° he tends to use both ends and takes daily baths of his own accord. I'm feeding 4 times daily.
The pet shop didn't seem to be looking after him very well, I observed this over a few days and he was left with stale food and only was only fed once in 24hours. He was only feeding every few days in the pet shop. In the end I signed a disclaimer and took him home as no-one would be in on the Sunday to feed him.
I'm not sure how to attach a picture. I also have a 5 yr adult healthy male but got him at 7.5 months old

dezismom

Juvie Member
as previously mentioned, baby beardies should be eating anytning offered, at any time..they are just eating machines! However, your baby is adjusting to a new environment (they hate change) and if he is only used to one feeding per day of old veggies, he will take some time to get a normal, healthy apetite. when My big boy was just a baby, he would eat like a pig, any time. I kept him in a heated bin in my kitchen, and offered food every hour, which he loved. I hand fed all food, kept a log of what he ate all day, and weighed him once a week, measured him also. His growth was amazing! Not knowing your babys age or size, I can only guess at what he should eat. Can you show a photo of him? They need live protein-- maybe 75% protein, 25% veggies. That will be reversed to 25% protien and 75% salad when around one year old. This depends on the individual, my boy did not eat veggies until over two years old. At his fastest growth period, he ate 10-12 crickets, half a dozn wax worms, or more, and 2-3 super worms in one feeding. So, offer live food often, and be patient as your baby accustomes himself to better care.

Can you post a photo?

Here is baby DeziLu, pigging out with great enthusiasm
82765-8258880502.jpg

Dezi now
82765-1469265386.jpg

Glowstickchick

Original Poster
Ahh lovely pics :) I don't know how to post pics. He is 16.5cm long nose to tail end. The pet shop said the previous owner said around 6 weeks, had him 1 week. The pet shop last Saturday said they'd had him since before Xmas, I did not see him there before Xmas. I work 9-3, but offer live food 4x daily and the same in veg. Roaches still yet to arrive- snow issues

Glowstickchick

Original Poster
I'm pleased to report little maverick is steadily gaining weight. The pet shop say he came to me at exactly 8grams on 13/1/18 now on the 29/1/18 he's 14.68grams. He's taken well to the Dubai roaches, the roaches that came were larger than expected at 10mm. Maverick gap between the eyes is 11 mm, he's eating 5 per day and 2 wax worms plus veg in 3 sittings. Smaller roach on the way. Thankyou for the support guys.

Still unsure how to post a picture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom