Concerned Beardie Mom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum as in posting. BTW thanks so much for this it has helped me so much these last few months. OK my concern is this... my beardie Mushu has been for the last two days laying on the opposite side of her tank (side without heat) with stress marks and a very dark beard. This morning she was fine no stress marks under her heat and eating. This afternoon after my daughter came home she was doing the opposite side of the tank. I have noticed that both of the times the TV is on. And today when the TV wasn't on she was fine. Don't get me wrong this is not a new location for her in the house she has been here since we got her. She lightens up as soon as I get her. I also wrap her her every night at bedtime in a towel and she will sleep there all night. Please any advice is great. Concerned Mom

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good that she lightens up after a bit. Can you post a photo of her and her setup? I'd like to get an idea of her situation. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them using the XIMG button. Does she only do this when the TV is on? It's possible it scares or bothers her for some reason. You could try putting up some paper or a photo to block her view of it and see how she responds. How is her activity level and appetite otherwise?

Marsha1008

Original Poster
My thing with the TV is that since we have had her she has been in the same spot. And it could be starting to bother her now. She use to watch the TV one of the reasons we left her there. She loves to snuggle. My husband suggested maybe cleaning her tank again (which in this case it is not as dirty as has been). I really don't know and have wondered if maybe she is starting to brumate. But the stress lines?! I am not just sure just worried about my baby. ? her appetite and mood r fine until she goes to the other side of the tank. She is still fine with me getting her out and snuggling with her. She goes to asleep almost as soon as I get her out. This happens more in the evening than during the day.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
She looks OK in that photo. Her hands and tail are about to shed. What is the temp probe reading in the basking spot? I can't read it. That hammock is a bit close to the basking light but since it's behind a screen it should be safe as long as the temperature gradient is OK across the tank. I would replace the compact UVB light with a T5 tube like this one http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ which is better suited for larger tanks and is powerful enough to emit adequate UVB through a mesh top. I don't see a huge cause for concern, she looks good to me. Just some suggestions for optimization is all.

Marsha1008

Original Poster
I have her heat lamp on stand so I can adjust the temp when needed. I normally keep her temp between 100-110F. I am also going to purchase a light hood for her uvb. This photo of her was when she shed last time.

Marsha1008

Original Poster
Thanks for your advice I will post some pics for her tmw. And especially if she is doing the same thing again tmw. My husband believes I have spoiled her too much? and that she just wants to be held. ?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I doubt brumation. The term stress lines is misleading. Young dragons have dark marks on their bellies that darken when they darken their bodies to absorb heat and light. This seems to go away a bit as they get older. Don't worry about that on it's own but double check your temps to make sure she is able to get warm enough. It's common and not necessarily an issue at all if everything else is OK.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
VERY slow connection tonight so I'm a bit delayed. 100-110 is just right for the basking surface. If she can easily move between zones that should be fine. Spoiling them rotten is part of the game (so is the worry) =).

Marsha1008

Original Poster
OK thank you. That was what I was worried about was her being stressed out. And that would make sense seeing how she is on the cooler side of her tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom