Sleepy Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Just want to let you guys know he finally came out. I increased the temps just a bit more. Seemed to do the trick. He ate approx 10 dubias this morning :D

92311-7540845824.jpg
92311-2136017760.jpg
92311-4271880915.jpg
I'm so glad he finally came out!

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
LOL, I spoke too soon, he's back in the cave hide. Although he seems to be up and alert, looking out of the cave. I am sure soon enough he will be out and basking as usual once springtime comes around :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like he's slowly coming out of it. I'd keep the temps up and provide nice long daylight times and hopefully he'll be up and bouncing off the walls in no time :wink:

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I’m most concerned that he has not gone to the bathroom in 2 weeks or so. Is that okay that he hasn’t gone yet?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't worry about that yet. Their metabolism slows down a lot so that includes pooping. It may take a little while for it to get revved back up and back to normal routine.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok as long as he'll be ok. I was reading if you feed them to make sure they empty or else the food may rot in their stomachs and it may cause health problems so just making sure. Then again he isn't going into a full deep brumation. I'll continue to measure his weight and offer food to see if he wants any.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've read that too and it seems a reasonable concern. I fed small amounts of veges to Darwin while he was brumating though and didn't see any issues in the long run. I can't say it's universal but that was my experience this year.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
OMG! So I have my thermometer reading and it keeps saying it's dropping down to 59 degrees :eek: I think this is the culprit as to why he thinks its brumation time, hence why he is half active and asleep. Oddly enough, I use a 150w CHE but I think with the enclosure has the screen top and heat rises, it's letting the heat out quickly rather than keeping it in so I am making some changes to his enclosure, I have a couple of plywood pieces that I can cover the top, not completely as there's a background that is actually covering up the holes.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Btw, I live in the desert part of CA so it does get pretty chilly at night (low 40s), the problem is that there's that annoying heater comes on so ride it out until the morning. So hopefully, the pieces of plywood help or maybe have to increase more of the CHE? I just hope I'm not hurting his health, feel terrible about this.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I put a new CHE and it fixed it. Somehow the other one got burnt out (no pun intended) :lol: His night temps are around 75 degrees :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is a pretty low temp and should be addressed. A new CHE or heat projector bulb is a good idea. I use a heat projector in my tank overnight and it works well. It has no top and it just hangs overhead in a dome fixture. It's set to keep the (daytime cool side) tank between 70-73 overnight and only kicks on when needed.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yay! He's back into basking! I turned off the reptisun and used the megaray while also using another heat bulb to increase the temps and he's able to get on his branch to bask :D He's also so much more active now and he did also go to the bathroom! I am sure he feels a lot better now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom