My beardie always wants on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jauly

I've had my bearded dragon for about 4 months now and I do believe he was 2 months old prior. Lately he's been extremely clingy, he wants out and on me all of the time. Once brought out he just climbs and crawls all over on and around me yet if I try to put him back in or leave the room his beard becomes black and remains so until I bring him out again along with him clawing at the glass and rubbing against it. But it's winter now and he can't be out to much. Inside his viv it's 80-90 and on the chill side it's 60-65. I do not run my heat all day or even everyday so when he's out it's not warm enough. He has more then enough room inside to move around along with plenty of places to hide and or climb. Is there a way I can get him to settle down, or should I move him to another room since me and him are pretty much next to one another all of the time, his viv is in the living room along with where my work area is.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. How are you taking the temps? The basking spot should be at least 100. Also what kinds of lights are you using? Brands?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
While it's common for them to cling to you and want to snuggle for warmth, I agree that the temps are too low in the tank if those are accurate readings. It's important to get accurate readings of the surface temps. The best way to do that is using an IR temp gun like this https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK or a couple of digital thermometers w/probes like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ (one for basking site, one for cool side). You want the basking surface to range between about 100-110 and the cool side should be around 75-80 or so with a gradient in between.

Jauly

Original Poster
destiny1998":2g917nro said:
Hi. How are you taking the temps? The basking spot should be at least 100. Also what kinds of lights are you using? Brands?

Sorry have been busy with work. I use a Exo Terra Solar Glo All in One Reptile Lamp, 125-w bulb and it's winter for me right now so my house does not keep hot during this time of year. I take the temp with my digital therm probe.

Jauly

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1cndu1ea said:
While it's common for them to cling to you and want to snuggle for warmth, I agree that the temps are too low in the tank if those are accurate readings. It's important to get accurate readings of the surface temps. The best way to do that is using an IR temp gun like this https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK or a couple of digital thermometers w/probes like these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0017N8W90/ (one for basking site, one for cool side). You want the basking surface to range between about 100-110 and the cool side should be around 75-80 or so with a gradient in between.
Yes I agree with those temps, which is what it's normally at during the summer, but as I stated right now it's winter time, keeping my house hot enough to keep his temps up at 100 isn't possible unless I put in more lights. But when I searched they said during winter months it's best to keep temps close to what they would have in their natural environment so I wasn't too worried about the heat being at what it is. Unless that information is wrong, there's just so much advise out there hard to follow which is which. But right now he's brumating so I think I'll let him do his thing and just keep an eye on him while I wait for him to wake up. And if adding more heat to his viv won't disturb him during this time I'll be more then happy to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom