Super black beard!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Okay so as most of you know I am a first time bearded dragon owner. And I have gotten the most amazing feedback from this website so I don't trust anybody but you guys.

Unfortunately the past few days I have not been the best Dragon owner. I have been going in flipping on his light in the morning dropping in his chopped up salad food for the day and leaving. Some mornings when I go in to do my morning procedure I've discovered that he hasn't even touched his bowl from the day before. And he has been dwelling for about 5 days straight in his Rock. Well today I picked up the Rock and pulled him out. He was a bright sand yellow and his beard was black as night. I figured he might just be extremely stressed out but he did not show any other signs other than the color change. So now he is sitting on my bed he is turned back to his normal color the black beard is gone and my cats are eyeballing him. He still seems pretty chill no Blackbeard or anything but I'm just curious. Why would he go days without eating? And Hideaway in his Rock for days. Is this normal type of stress Behavior? Depression?

He seems to be okay with my cat sitting inches away from him. I think he's more Curious than scared at the moment.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
That does sound like stress. Do you cats have access to the room that your bearded dragon is in during the day? Also, what are your temperatures and UVB?

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
There is no access for the cats to be allowed in there. But we do have a border collie that refuses to stop eating the cat's so she has been placed in quarantine until we can figure out what to do with her so Ranger lives with a crazy dog. we do have one cat in there and she is currently residing in a cat kennel because she has a urinating problem. But so far those two roommates that cat and that dog are doing fine since the cat is in a separate housing area the dog does not feel that it needs to be herded. But every once in awhile the cat will reach out of a cage and Polk the dog and the dog loses her freaking mind. That dog is a control freak I tell you.

I've been wanting to take Ranger out of that room so I have better access to him I just don't have any place else to keep him my mother's house is rather small and she does own six other cat's.

Ranger will be about 3 years old maybe four this November. I rescued him from my sister who is a horrendous pet owner. The only animals that she's owned that can thrive in her care are her rats.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
I'm inclined to say that it could be brumation, but black bearding is not normal for brumation.

It's possible that the chaos caused by the other animals in the room and/or their scent is stressing the bearded dragon out.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
beardedlady1":3424f8h6 said:
There is no access for the cats to be allowed in there. But we do have a border collie that refuses to stop eating the cat's so she has been placed in quarantine until we can figure out what to do with her so Ranger lives with a crazy dog.
Cloning is an option, lol!!! I know of two people that would take one, lol!
we do have one cat in there and she is currently residing in a cat kennel because she has a urinating problem. But so far those two roommates that cat and that dog are doing fine since the cat is in a separate housing area the dog does not feel that it needs to be herded. But every once in awhile the cat will reach out of a cage and Polk the dog and the dog loses her freaking mind. That dog is a control freak I tell you.

I've been wanting to take Ranger out of that room so I have better access to him I just don't have any place else to keep him my mother's house is rather small and she does own six other cat's.

Ranger will be about 3 years old maybe four this November. I rescued him from my sister who is a horrendous pet owner. The only animals that she's owned that can thrive in her care are her rats.

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HylianHealeys":2m50ghmm said:
That does sound like stress. Do you cats have access to the room that your bearded dragon is in during the day? Also, what are your temperatures and UVB?
Its 95 in the tank and he has a brand new UVB tube light. The cats have no access. He's dwelling though with a dog and a cat in kitty jail. There is peace till the cat reaches out and touches the dog. Or the delivery man arrives..... Or someone tries to break in....

beardedlady1

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HylianHealeys":3kmw8pip said:
Is 95 your basking temperature? Warm side? Cool side?

95 to 100 is the Basking side the cool side is around 78. We keep the house at 77 ish. Sometimes he will go to the cool side and hang out and eat his food but most of the time if he wants to escape the heat he just goes under his basking Rock in his Hideaway. Which is where he spends most of his time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom