Juvenile acting pretty Antisocial

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've had Onyx for about 3-4 weeks. He's just recently had his shed (About 3 days ago) and it was a pretty big shed. I never touched him during that time so as to not really bother him, fed him regularly and would give him a nice little spray of warm water since I didn't want to hurt him in his shedding process. He doesn't mind water being sprayed on him at all and actually quite enjoys lapping the water from himself. Ever since he finished his last little shed I've been trying to pick him up for some exploration but he always runs away from me. I always rest my hand in the tank where he can see it for a little before I try to slide under him and he usually always just climbs right on up. But lately like I said, he just runs away or glass surfs until I basically leave him alone. I've only tried about 1-2 times every couple of hours apart but he just seems to rather be left alone lol. He used to love eating treats out of my hand but now he kinda just waits for me to leave them and he goes to grab them on his own. Just wondering if anyone else has run into the same problem or if it's just a Juvenile thing. His temps for basking are 105 degrees and 78-85 degrees on the cooler side. He has plenty of veg and a 20 Gal tank as he's only about 8 inches (planning on upgrading soon) thanks again

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Just give him the rest of the week and if he still acts how he does, come back. Unless other symptoms start to appear...

Mastapluck

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":b4cyd3mr said:
Just give him the rest of the week and if he still acts how he does, come back. Unless other symptoms start to appear...

I sure will. Just hope it's nothing serious.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Also, if you're trying to help shed, you should just leave him in a container with warm/lukewarm water for 10-20 minutes, though it's only necessary after a like a week(so long as you're providing areas that he can also rub up against, otherwise more frequent baths would definitely help). If you're trying to hydrate him by just misting his face, that's fine.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Also, if you're trying to help shed, you should just leave him in a container with warm/lukewarm water for 10-20 minutes, though it's only necessary after a like a week(so long as you're providing areas that he can also rub up against, otherwise more frequent baths would definitely help). If you're trying to hydrate him by just misting his face, that's fine. Lastly, does he seem to have to use more energy to breath compared to when you first got him or his first week with you?

Mastapluck

Original Poster
KeyBlu422":2cfjwibu said:
Also, if you're trying to help shed, you should just leave him in a container with warm/lukewarm water for 10-20 minutes, though it's only necessary after a like a week(so long as you're providing areas that he can also rub up against, otherwise more frequent baths would definitely help). If you're trying to hydrate him by just misting his face, that's fine.

Yeah that's what I was trying but like I said he kept running from me so it was a little hard to get him. Plus I have huge hands and he's so small so naturally I get a little worried I'll hurt him if I try to get him any other way than scooping but I will definitely try harder next time. He has lots of things to rub up against he just chooses the floor and his hammock as his preferred scratching objects lol. But thanks for your help! I'll definitely try them and update if nothing changes!

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Ah, you can also try leaving a shed box(same as a leopard gecko would have it : box to fit the animal, moist moss or vermiculite) or putting a large water bowl in then you won't have to take him out, mostly.

Mastapluck

Original Poster
I just saw your part about his breathing. He seems to be breathing the same when I first got him and usually when he runs away (especially after a hearty meal) he kinda breathes a lot quicker but it slows down when he stops and basks so I assume it's just normal. He has been doing a bit better as of late. He lets me pet him from time to time but is still a little iffy about me scooping him up for some exploration. I'll update if anything else happens. Thanks so much y'all I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom