Bearded Dragon not Acting the Same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

awkwardtaco3

I have a 7 or 8 month old bearded dragon who has always been very healthy. The chin is always yellow and scales are always bright colors. We are not sure what gender it is, though its parts show it as a female but are still quite faint to see. Recently, he stopped eating crickets when we put them in the tank and I read that his tastes have changed and we need to change the feeder. This process has been easy and he eats about a dozen or more superworms a day. But now, he/she has been scratching around and sitting inside the cave in the tank, which is way too small for her body (which is around 14-15 inches long). I went to go touch him/her today and got puffed at, which I have never seen before. The colors are still bright yellow when all of this is happening, so I can't tell what is wrong. Is it stress? Is there a sickness I don't know about? Is it just growing/age? Thank you

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Around this time of year its usually when they burmate and is not unheard of for a beardie as young as at least 8 months or so to burmate.

They can get somewhat tired of the same foods over and over and over, however superworms are not a staple feeder as they have a lot of fat (most larvae staged bugs do except silkworms or hornworms).

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/
Can you please post a picture of the setup, lighting, supplements, and give some info on the brand of lighting, what his basking spot is, what he gets for salads, how much you dust the feeders. Just general stuff.

Just upload a image to there, come back hit XIMG to select and post the picture.

This is what i generally go by for feeding,

1-4 months 3 times a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
4-12 months twice a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
12-20 months once a day 10-20 bugs each feeding,
And then 20+ months every other day 10-20 bugs each feeding.

And of course daily salads in all age ranges, usually collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens daily and then the occasional blueberry, banana, or red raspberry once or twice a week in their salad.

As for the bug portion i usually feed crickets, calciworms, dubia roaches, and turkish roaches for staples.

As for dusting, ones below 20+ months usually 5 times a week for calcium and 2 times a week for multivitamins. And then for the 20+ month olds usually 3 times a week for calcium and once a week for multivitamins.

As for treats i occasionally will give them hornworms, superworms or mealworms. Usually 5-10 mealworms, and then for hornworms and superworms 2-4. For mealworms i offer those once or twice a week and then with superworms and hornworms usually once a week or twice every two weeks. Hornworms can be offered a bit more than superworms can since they do have less fat and are mostly just moisture which is good for hydration in some cases but can cause diarrhea if given too many.

awkwardtaco3

Original Poster
sorry for bad quality...

we are looking to get a new basking light soon as the current one doesn't get up to 100 degrees, but he has a UVB light that is fine.

He/she eats collard greens every 1-2 days, and we put worms in with the collards so they appeal to him more.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Actually the uvb isnt fine, the only suitable uvb light is a arcaidia or reptisun T5 HO 10.0 22" or 34" (works for 20-50 gallons) with a fitting reflective fixture.

The reason for this is because uvb coil/compact bulbs can cause blindness (mostly in coil ones), stunted growth, decreased appetite, and even MBD as they are efficient enough.

I'd up the salad intake, or at least offer it more often. At least every other day but preferably everyday.

Is your tank a 20 gallon or a 30/40 gallon? Its hard to tell from the pictures.

Also the reason he probably puffed up was because you startled him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom