Introducing two beardies without aggression? (not same tank)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vallium

Hi, so as I've posted before, I have two dragons now and they're both female.

I originally thought I could potentially house them together out of convenience but decided to drop the idea knowing they'd prefer their space and the 70gal isn't big enough for them to cohabitate anyways.

At the very least though I'd like them to free roam the house without aggression, can I do that? As it stands I always let Rio out once a day, and now Reyna I also do as well. I've been monitoring them closely, what started out as non aggressive dominance behavior (simple arm waving from Reyna, Rio licking her back or tip of tail and climbing over her) seems to have escalated to be more aggressive (Rio head bobbing and running after her from across the room quickly) I don't let them get close enough for any attacking to happen, since I tend to hold or grasp Rio before she gets too close, I'm not sure what will happen if I do and I'm not wanting to risk it.

Is it too much of a problem for me to be thinking about introducing them "out of convenience", and should I be accepting releasing them at different times? Or do you think I can slowly integrate them and get them used to each other's existence in a slow, supervised manner?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
They have already set the stage for conflict! Do Not, allow it to continue. By allowing them to even know that the other one even exists was a mistake. One or the other will wind up hurt or worse.
I know, I know..... People think that they need a friend to hang out with.... THEY DON'T!!! This thinking has gotten many dragons maimed or killed over the years. Dragons only tolerate other dragons during mating and, even that is dangerous!

Vallium

Original Poster
The way I've done it is to monitor the behaviors and temperments of my animals beforehand, it really depends on the animal, and I wouldnt let one harm the other. I know bearded dragons don't prefer companions so I wasnt getting a second dragon for the company, but I did want them to cohabitate in a general open space if at all possible to give them an active environment to roam in when out of tank.

Given their initial reactions though I'm not making it a habit and have been taking them out separately, and if they are out "together" I put them on opposite spaces when I'm directly nearby to make sure they aren't initiating any contact. They do generally avoid each other that way.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Vallium":1fvclj9a said:
The way I've done it is to monitor the behaviors and temperments of my animals beforehand, it really depends on the animal, and I wouldnt let one harm the other. I know bearded dragons don't prefer companions so I wasnt getting a second dragon for the company, but I did want them to cohabitate in a general open space if at all possible to give them an active environment to roam in when out of tank.

Given their initial reactions though I'm not making it a habit and have been taking them out separately, and if they are out "together" I put them on opposite spaces when I'm directly nearby to make sure they aren't initiating any contact. They do generally avoid each other that way.

<<< wont work .... bearded dragon can move very fast when it
>>> see's another dragon and takes offence at it's presence
>>> see's another dragon who is a potential mate

We made the mistake having Toothless out , he was way over as far away from me in the lounge - dining room area when I was feeding Peppa , she saw him and decided in a flash to leap off my lap and Toothless was onto her in a flash , so fast we had no time to react.

No two dragons out in sight of each other is the best policy.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
I would keep them separate at all times. Yes, your slow little beardie doesn't look like he could do much, but you would be surprised to see how fast they can move! They could be perfectly fine one moment but they next they are trying to bite eachothers heads off. It's really not worth it IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom