Sleepy boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

kallie11

Remi is about 6 months old and I've had him for about 2 months. He's always been a good eater, dubias twice a day and almost all his greens daily. For about the past month he's been very sleepy. Still laying in bed an hour or more after lights on and 3 or 4 hours in bed before lights out. His appetite has also decreased so he rarely eats dinner or his greens now. Is this common behavior with the weather change?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He is a bit young for brumation but a seasonal slowdown isn't unheard of. Do you see signs of distress like a black beard or is he losing weight? I would keep your lights on a full 14hr day schedule and keep the temps up in his tank. Keep offering food on a normal schedule but don't force it if he isn't interested. Can you provide some details about your setup and lighting? Maybe post some photos of him? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them using the XIMG button.

Queen1OG

CooperDragon":2ows6xsa said:
He is a bit young for brumation but a seasonal slowdown isn't unheard of. Do you see signs of distress like a black beard or is he losing weight? I would keep your lights on a full 14hr day schedule and keep the temps up in his tank. Keep offering food on a normal schedule but don't force it if he isn't interested. Can you provide some details about your setup and lighting? Maybe post some photos of him? You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them using the XIMG button.

I was thinking brumation also but the dragon is a little young

kallie11

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1i0p8qtu said:
No distress or black beard, no weight loss either. Although he does seem a bit small for his age. He's about 6 months old and only 12 inches currently. Lights are on 14 hours already, 6am-8pm. His tank is 40 gallons, long bulb is a 24w t5 ho 22inch reptisun. Basking bulb is a 75 watt on a dimmer switch. I also have a CHE on a dimmer to keep the cool side around the right temperature as my house is a little colder. The picture with the ruler is from about a month ago.
95097-5992361512.jpg
this one is from last night actually
95097-5289635882.jpg

fcooper

Hatchling Member
In the wild once a year, when the temperatures drop bearded dragons slow down their metabolism. This means that they can survive without eating. For this they bury themselves in soil. This keeps them from freezing and they can get moisture from the soil as well.

So if your bearded dragon is inactive, hides all the time and does not eat, it might be the time to brumate. This is a whole other topic and explaining everything would be a little bit too much. Just give your bearded dragon the time to brumate. If you are not sure if this is really the reason for the loss of appetite visit a vet!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks healthy and your lighting is good so I'd just keep things as they are and let him do his thing for now as long as his weight is stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom