Female beardie normal behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I rescued Thorn from a kind of crappy situation. Her sand was blue, her lights were a 75watt mini basking spotlight, a 5.0 COMPACT UVB mini. And there was no basking perch to even get up to those crappy lights. She was given these crunchy neon colored puffs for food that smelled like fruitloops. As far as I know no fresh greens, but she did get crickets. They said children messed with her constantly and they never took her out of the cage because she was mean and they were scared of her. I completely revamped her cage into what is should be. Her diet as well. Though shes still not a fan of the fresh greens.

She does come across as aggressive when you reach in her cage. She kind of throws her head around wildly... its not really a bob. I also have a male and I've seen his head bob and she doesn't do that when you reach in. Though i have seen her bob at me before. Its more like she tosses her head back then kind of in a circle. She also does it when i try to pet her. Is that normal? Lol. Its kind of odd to watch. Shes taken a dive at my hand before but she just licked me even though i was convinced i was getting bit in that situation. She hasnt bit or hissed or puffed at me. Just the weird head thing. She doesnt like me picking her up but deals with it if i am able to snatch her up.
I dont know if females are just overall grouchy like that or if its just the crappy upbringing shes had. Also an helpful tips to help her trust me and like me more? I had my other beardie drako since he was a baby and hes a sweetheart. So im not sure how to win over an adult female.

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Sounds like she'll need some time to adjust. She may tame down with time, or she may never tame down. It really depends on the individual. Don't force the issue with petting and handling for now. Just make sure she's eating and defecating regularly, and do everything you can to minimize environmental stress (loud noises, other animals, etc). Once she stops reacting to your hand, she's ready for the next step in handling.

Nessiedrakosmom

Original Poster
Its only every once in a while that i try to give her pets and love cause i know she doesnt like it. Ive had her for a while now and did what you said left her be for a while and tried to get some trust, though she always does the head spin thing. I have found her good spot on her head and shell let me pet that spot and put her head down and close her eyes but thats it.
I only pick her up when its bath time also which sometimes she enjoys bath time

Nessiedrakosmom

Original Poster
Sometimes she comes across as clumsy. It could be energy thats she doesnt have a way to burn off? Is it possible for me to post a video on here cause its hard to explain exactly what she does.
I do think the one comment was right about not being tame because she comes across as wild and aggressive mostly when she is hungry. I give her greens everyday though im pretty sure she just digs in them. I usually find them just scattered around her cage.
Im slowly trying to convince her to eat from my hands but its usually a no go

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
I don't think there's a way to upload videos here, unfortunately. What size enclosure do you have her in?

Ultimately I think you're just going to have to be patient. Adult beardies tame down a lot more slowly than babies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can upload videos to a host like vimeo or youtube and then paste a link to the video here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom