Gretchen has the winter blues I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gretchen

Hatchling Member
Happy New Year everyone!!!

Well over here on my side of Canada it's been a whopping -40 degrees Celsius for close to two weeks now. Gretchen had a spat with coccidia a month ago and her tests came back clean 2 weeks ago. She's been pretty good up until a few days ago where she put herself in her hut and hasn't come out. She ate 2 days ago but didn't touch anything yesterday. She's 10 months old and her light schedule is 12-12. Basking anywhere between 105-109. Cool end stays at 86 and have been keeping it at that with her CHE at night as it can get chilly over night in my apartment. I check on her every now and then and she's not sleeping just hanging out under her log lol

Just wondering if I should do anything different for this or if I should just let her be and keep offering food etc.
This was her yesterday.
93727-8703610454.jpg
Thank you everyone.
Krista

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Well it could be the cold and the winter lighting schedule you have, usually around this time of year beardies do go into burmation even with a summer lighting schedule, some from what ive heard even can go into burmation in the summer sometimes.
Usually 12 hours of light is similar to the winter months of Australia, i believe it can get down to almost only 10 hours of daylight there however i could be wrong. Usually you want a 13-14 hour schedule, which resembles the summer months in Australia.

However if its only been two days in her hide i wouldnt worry as it could just be her wanting to hide for a short amount of time. However if it goes on for couple of weeks make sure she always goes to the bathroom if you feed her or her food could rot in her stomach and end up killing her.
My adult female beardie hid for a whole week before resuming normal activities like basking and running around earlier this year and never hid again yet.

However my male bearded dragon has been in burmation since september, in the first month i fed him every other day like usual, and when he was on meds for pinworms i fed him as well, once off meds i slowed down that feeding to only once a week and only 10-15 bugs for him. Once he stopped going out to occasionally bask i immediately stopped feeding him as if he didnt bask he could not digest his food properly. Luckily he did have a bowel movement a few days later, ive never fed him since then and that was around November i believe. Of course i still take him out at least once a week for a bath, mostly for hydration but other than that he just sleeps in his hide with either his tail or nose sticking out to at least get some uvb still. Lighting stays on just like normal, its really only the food portion that changes. For salad he still actually gets this offered, but only once a week or so and most of the time he doesnt come out for it so it usually goes to the crickets, and when he does come out for it he usually basks for two hours after eating and then goes back to sleep and then has another bowel movement but this is rare and hes only done it twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom