My beardie is alert but not active? New beardie mom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Junkyardd0g

I adopted my first beardie a little less than a week ago (she’s 2.) So far she eats well drinks well enjoys her baths etc. She’s alert and bright eyed always moving her head and watching. However I’m concerned she doesn’t move around her cage basically at all.She will spend the whole day (maybe longer) in one spot. Her temps are 106 in her basking and 80 on the cool side. She pooped when I first brought her home but hasn’t since. Could this be stress related because she’s new? I have trouble recognizing when she’s puffed up and I don’t know if I can write that off as her having a fatter neck then some beardies I see or she’s just always puffed/stressed??

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's more common behavior with adults like her. They tend to be less active in general than the young dragons. She still may enjoy time outside the tank to explore or look out the window though. Give her plenty of time to settle in but offer some adventures slowly and see how she responds.

fijea

My beardie has been acting like yours until I moved him to a bigger enclosure (100x40x40 cm).

If your enclosre is big enough for her to roam then she might be into brumation. They will look sick and can get us paranoid.

Taffer

Hatchling Member
if you plan on letting your dragon roam freely around the house, it may be a good idea to get a little leash for her. At least that way if she gets under something and you are not able to find her, you'll be able to see the leash...at least until you get used to all the places she likes to go curl up and take a nap. Just be prepared that sometimes she will find a hiding place so good you may go a day or two without finding her and freak out that maybe, just maybe someone left the door open too long and she got out (thus, the reason for the leash). Having a 7 YO keeps that in the back of my mind. I don't recommend pulling her out of her hiding place using the leash of course...just using it for a homing beacon. You may want to close off rooms such as bedrooms where she can get under a bed and hide...luckily mine has only done that once. You'll learn their preferred hiding spots...just talk to her, gently pet her and wake her up slowly when you find her so you don't stress her out.

My favorite thing was our beardie used to get onto the carpet in the living room, then run full speed to the linoleum floor in the kitchen and stop running and just slide, then go back and do it 2-3 more times. She used to do it a few times a week until she was about 12-14 months old. She had to be doing it on purpose for the fun of it, but unfortunately I've never been able to capture it on camera. :( She also likes to try and hop on our 70 pound German Shedder (yes, she sheds a lot!) She will wait on the edge of the couch and wait for the dog to go by. You can see her head tracking Shasta as she walks, then she will jump on Shasta's back and try to go for a ride, but Shasta just runs away. I think the dragon is the alpha of the two. :lol: :lol: :lol:

One more thing "Monster" does that seems to be abnormal to most dragons - she asks to be let out of her terrarium to go poop. When she starts going nuts trying to get out, we let her out and usually in <5 minutes she will go poop somewhere (usually on the linoleum floor or wood floor thank goodness). She won't even walk through it or drag her tail though it...she is a total diva when it comes to poop.

Post some of the cool and interesting things your new family member does. :0)

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
i havent had the experience with an adult dragon but most of them i see there pretty sedentary the perfect dragon to chill with you i have a 4 month old dragon and the last thing she wants to do is chill also the first 30 min after she wakes out she looks at the the reflections all around the terrarium she basks for 30 min and she goes around the cage again then she basks and eats the rest of the day and thats pretty much her daily routine lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom