My bearded dragon hates me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexisg

Hi, I’m a newbie when it comes to bearded dragons, well, more like reptiles in general. I have had my bearded dragon for about a month now and I have spent hours researching everything I need to know about their behavior, what’s normal and what’s not, etc. and I have not found anything that is helping me fix my new obstacle, My bearded dragon all of a sudden hates me. The first two weeks of owning him and letting him settle in, everything went great! He was so sweet and it seemed like he enjoyed when I held him and let him explore around my bed, but the last week or so he has been terrified of me. Anytime I put my hand in his cage he freaks out and sprints to the opposite side of his viv. I understand that they are skiddish when they are young, but I don’t know what could have made him so scared of me out of no where.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they just go through moods like that. Do you see signs of a shed coming on (dull waxy skin, white spots, etc)? That can put them in a bad mood sometimes. Sometimes if something is off with the lighting or heat it can cause them to act up but they usually either act lethargic or glass surf a lot if that's the case. Sometimes it's hormonal but that is usually with dragons who are around a year(ish) old or after brumation. I would be patient with him and give him space if he seems defensive around you. You could try offering a treat by hand but I wouldn't be too forceful with it.

Alexisg

Original Poster
CooperDragon":2dvkvnhj said:
Sometimes they just go through moods like that. Do you see signs of a shed coming on (dull waxy skin, white spots, etc)? That can put them in a bad mood sometimes. Sometimes if something is off with the lighting or heat it can cause them to act up but they usually either act lethargic or glass surf a lot if that's the case. Sometimes it's hormonal but that is usually with dragons who are around a year(ish) old or after brumation. I would be patient with him and give him space if he seems defensive around you. You could try offering a treat by hand but I wouldn't be too forceful with it.

Thank you for a reply! Yes I think he is still in the process of shedding, he has shed his legs and tail completely but his back is still very dull. Also he does glass surf, but it’s only occasionally and I find it’s usually only in the mornings when he’s warmed up and ready for his breakfast.

fijea

When you try putting your hand in his cage, did you come from the top or under?
I heard reptiles have a parietal eye which located on top of their head as a defense system from predators like birds.

When I picked my beardie I used to put my hand with palms facing upwards (And picked him from the front).
I got no problem handling him even while he's shedding.

But maybe my beardie is a lazy ass who doesn't have a care in the world. Haha.

Taffer

Hatchling Member
fijea":3ry3o6sq said:
When I picked my beardie I used to put my hand with palms facing upwards (And picked him from the front).
You know what Fijea, I didn't realize it until you said it, but I typically pick my BD up the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom