Glass Surfing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nove2112

My beardie has been glass surfing recently he is doing it a lot. He also climbs his background and burns himself of his tube light I had to put plastic up so he could not climb. He is 6 months and lives in a 40-gallon breeder. His temperatures are 102-105 basking and ambient 78-80. Any ideas why/solutions to this?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He might want to get out and explore. Are you able to give him some supervised time outside the tank to burn off some energy? You may also want to raise your basking light so it's well out of reach to prevent burns. The UVB light shouldn't get too hot but should still stay out of reach if possible.

Nove2112

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3tq0azb6 said:
He might want to get out and explore. Are you able to give him some supervised time outside the tank to burn off some energy? You may also want to raise your basking light so it's well out of reach to prevent burns. The UVB light shouldn't get too hot but should still stay out of reach if possible.
I do give him 10-15 minutes to but he still does it. Should I let him out more? The basking light is well out of reach it is the uvb tube he is touching which feels very hot.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't let the UVB light get closer than about 6''. Even if it doesn't burn it can be pretty intense visually at close range. If your schedule permits more outside time and he likes it, go for it. I let my guy out for hours at a time when I can. I got to the point where I set up portable basking lights for him around the house so he can return to them to warm up when he wants to. He watched the snow out the window for a couple of hours this morning. A lot of them enjoy being out of the tank to explore. They're very curious little critters =)

Nove2112

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3v3o0tbi said:
I wouldn't let the UVB light get closer than about 6''. Even if it doesn't burn it can be pretty intense visually at close range. If your schedule permits more outside time and he likes it, go for it. I let my guy out for hours at a time when I can. I got to the point where I set up portable basking lights for him around the house so he can return to them to warm up when he wants to. He watched the snow out the window for a couple of hours this morning. A lot of them enjoy being out of the tank to explore. They're very curious little critters =)
I will try toto take him out more. The UVB IS well out of reach he climbs the background.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah got it. Do you have one of those foam exo-terra backgrounds? They love to climb those. As long as he can move away if he wants to I suppose it won't be a problem. I wound up removing mine to create more space. I replaced it with a photo on the outside of the glass.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
well, they do that when they aren't too happy to give him more interaction with you and your family. their color does change with there mood, how hot they are, how they're feeling, and if they are asleep or not. you could I also try getting him a female companion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom