Not sleepy after lights gone off or?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hello everyone,
I am not sure if this is normal behaviour or considered out of the norm but my beardie she seems to keep her eyes open even after the lights have gone off. Can they sleep with their eyes open? :eek:
92311-568617834.jpg
She wants to sleep on her log tonight.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
I know some species of lizards lack eyelids and do sleep with their eyes open. Several varieties of gecko come to mind. But I’ve never heard of bearded dragons doing this. I do know that if my bedroom has even a tiny bit of light after their lights go out my beardies will keep their eyes open and remain watchful (albeit very groggily). So I make sure it’s pitch black in their enclosures when it’s time to go to bed so they won’t have any sleep disruptions. Is the room pitch black when you turn off your beardie’s lights or is there another light source still going (TV, a lamp you leave on for reading, etc.)? Some are just very light sleepers and need it blackout dark before they commit to closing their eyes, so what may seem like sleeping with its eyes open might just be a tired but still awake lizard.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Maybe it's just bc of the camera, but there seems to be a lot of light. As the other poster mentioned, any type of outside light can keep them awake. If you are a night-owl and need to have a light on, try covering their cage with a towel or something like that

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah, that makes sense. After the lights gone off though she looks like what the heck, I was enjoying that type of look and then she just doesn't move after a while but maybe an hour later she finds a place to sleep. I'll try putting something over the cage and see if that helps :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom