acting strange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Hi, I have a female beardie who is just under a year old. Today my usually calm girl started glass surfing and running around her enclosure so I took her out. Then she started running around the room until she found a completely dark corner and then she pushed herself into it and fell asleep. Literally. She just lay down and closed her eyes. I picked her up and put her in my sweatshirt, (her favorite blanket) and she didn't wake up. She usually falls asleep around seven and it was about four when she started doing this. Right now she is asleep in my lap wrapped in my sweatshirt. Also i don't know if this is relevant but today was our first snow but still it wouldn't make sense for it to be brumation since she was running around. Am I doing something wrong? I've had her since April so it can't be relocation stress. Nothing else has changed and she hasn't been black bearding. Is this normal?
P.S
Sorry if I'm just overreacting but I've only owned cats and a dog before this so I worry a lot that I'm doing something wrong.
P.P.S
She does open her eyes if there is light but I haven't held her in the light for long because I don't want to have to chase her around again and it might cause stress for her.(I think)

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
My little 9 ish month old girl has done the same thing for ages I get her out she sits on me for a few mins gets bored runs around for 10 minutes finds a corner and pushes her head into it and goes to sleep she rarely just settles on me but once she's slept in the corner will stay docile on me when I pick her up. I think it might be the cold I've noticed when I drop her temps at night she will sleep even with lights on but when I get home after lights off and the heat is still on she's still wide awake so would make sense if they associate cold with bedtime although I'm just guessing (she used to explore loads more in the summer before deciding it was time to hit the corner for sleeps). from what I can gather it is unusual for beardies under 1 to brumate but not unusual for them to slow down. My biggest concern is mine has started head bobbing at me all the time possibly because when I open her viv the cold air gets in but she's never been even slightly aggressive before although she's still ok with handling she seems much less keen and never asks to come out anymore. Anyway that's probably no help to you but yea I'm hoping it's just seasonal change and she'll be back to herself in spring

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It sounds like both of your girls may be going hormonal. It's the wrong time of the year for it if you're in the northern hemisphere, but they're just about the right age. So as long as they seem healthy otherwise (eating and pooping normally, etc), then it's probably nothing to worry about -- normal stuff, although they may drive you crazy for a while. :)

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Any idea how long this usually lasts? She's been an absolute pain today won't take food from my hands runs off when I go to stroke her and stupid as it sounds she is managing to look angry which I didn't think was possible. No black bearding yet on the bright side but feels like it's coming

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
You may be in for some craziness for a few weeks, but there's a lot of variation between individual beardies. We're lucky that our adult male only does the black bearding and head bobbing for a few hours on a few afternoons over a period of 2-3 weeks about once a year, They're all a little different, so it's hard to say. :?

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
SHBailey":i4jtkz4m said:
You may be in for some craziness for a few weeks, but there's a lot of variation between individual beardies. We're lucky that our adult male only does the black bearding and head bobbing for a few hours on a few afternoons over a period of 2-3 weeks about once a year, They're all a little different, so it's hard to say. :?

Don't suppose you want to borrow mine for a few weeks!!! Just got her properly tamed and friendly and it's like I'm starting again from scratch

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
If it is indeed due to hormones as we're assuming, then it won't last forever and she'll be back to her old self eventually. Then you should be able to pick up where you left off with the taming. You might have to just be patient with her in the meantime (admittedly, not an easy thing to do when they're bouncing off the walls :blob5: ).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom