Is it possible for me to tame an adult bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i just bought my first beardie a few days ago he is fully grown around 16 inches and is about 3 years old. The previous owners took good care of him but he wasn’t handled too much. When i put my hand in the cage he doesn’t seem to mind much, sometimes he will back off. If i go underneath to grab him he’ll cock his head to the side and squirm a little. When i get him into my hand he’ll sit for about a minute or two but will try to wiggle away. I do let him explore my room and have his fun. He doesn’t try to bite me or doesn’t get a black beard. Will puff up occasionally though. I know it’ll be a slow process but i just want some reassurance or advice. I’ve looked at a lot of video of people giving tips on how to tame them. When i do bring him out I’ll offer him some treat “super worms or veggies” to calm him down a bit. He just never seems to want to sit and hang out. I do pet his back and underneath his beard but he doesn’t really respond much to it so i cannot tell if he’s enjoying it or not. My goal would be to get him comfortable enough to have him sit on my chest or shoulder and just hang and watch tv with me. Any advice or tips would be appreciated. Thanks

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Time and, Patience!
They are very curious creatures to say the least, they love to explore. He is till adjusting to his new home and, this will take time (sometimes weeks) for him to acclimate. Relocation stress can effect them in different ways.
They are also moody, lol! My 3 1/2 yo dragon still likes to run around and explore but, she gets it out of the way pretty quick and, will rest on my chest to take in some TV time(she likes action movies), lol!
So go slow and, let him roam a bit, he has to learn to trust you.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I tamed a wild adult eastern bearded that had hidden under the fender of our car and dad discovered when he saw a tail dangling that I adopted as a pet as a child about 10-12 years old .

If I can tame an wild adult bearded dragon you can certainly tame a new adult captive bred bearded dragon. They come around and learn to trust their keeper/handler/feeder/carer pretty quickly ,as always , food and the dragon knowing you are the giver thereof is the path to your dragon's heart.

Heroicchip

Original Poster
Thank you both for the replies he’s seems to be doing quite better with me already! And wow, that’s a incredible story. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom