How can I get him to trust me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StephyAnneBlake

Hello! My Dragons name is Tad Cooper. I have had him for about 3 months now and he still doesn’t like me!
He is fine when my hands are in the terrarium with him, or if I’m putting new food/water in there. He is even fine with me feeding him with tongs. He’ll even climb into my hand if his dish is there and he willingly sit in my hand after eating. But if food isn’t involved he won’t let me near him. I can get about an inch away from him then he’ll puff up and get all dark. I don’t back down until he is calm but I don’t want to scare him by just scooping him up. I’m always hanging around next to him and talking to him. I place old shirts I have worn in there with him so he knows my scent. I always come at him from below and not above. I have tried everything I can think of besides just grabbing him. But I don’t want him to be scared of me and obviously I don’t want to be bitten.
He is in a 50 gallon tank. And loves his hammock. He loves his superworms and mealworms. I have a basking area and a uvb light too. I have given him everything he needs.
I haven’t been able to take care of him as well as I would like to because he won’t let me touch him at all. I just want to love my little guy but he only sees me as a threat.
Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Thanks a lot

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Okay well... i would stop with the superworms and mealworms as they are probably one of the worst feeders out there and go with crickets, dubia roaches and calciworms/pheonix worms/black soldier fly larvae. If he bites you it probably wont hurt at all that much anyway so try and pick him up and if you can just let him sit on your lap for a few minutes to an hour and then put him back and do that every day and see if he gets used to you then.
Though can you answer a few questions for me?
Whats the uvb brand?
Coil,compact, mvb, or tube uvb?
Whats the substrate/bedding?
Whats the basking temp and cool side temp?
What are you feeding him beside superworms/mealworms?
What are you using to monitor the temps?
How old is he?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom